All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 07-21-2020, 07:09 AM

Although silver can be very attractive, there is something to consider. Light colors such a silver, white and very light pastels tend to wash out the lines and curves of a car. On a modern Mercedes that does not have a lot of sculpture lines, sliver looks great. On a car with a lot of subtle converging curves and sculpture detail, the shape and lines get lost or minimized. Darker colors will allow you to see the contrasting shapes and shadows. If silver is what you heart is set on, I would suggest something more toward a pewter fine metallic which would give a greater contrasting ability. I would also suggest making a large spray out panel (18" x 18") so you get a better sense of what the color will look like on the larger scale of a car. What often looks appealing on a spray card has a very different effect on a large scale. Paint is expensive so be sure before you invest $1000.00 in materials that you do not like.
Old 09-06-2023, 09:11 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

The reason I was working on the roadster and nearly burned it and my shop down was I was thinking about trailering it up to the Triple Crown of Rodding show at the Nashville Superspeedway.

After I replaced the burned up wiring, put in a new mechanical fuel pump, rebuilt the carb it was running OKish so I cleared the path to back it out and took it for a drive in the neighborhood. Damn, it is fun to drive...and fast. Sadly, the clutch slave cylinder is sticking and I don't feel comfortable driving around other folks cars.

When I built it, I had to put a pull slave clutch cylinder because of the exhaust. It's always felt sticky. When I went to the split cast iron manifolds, I now have room for the push cylinder which I already have so it's back in the shop. Maybe next year.
Old 09-29-2023, 02:07 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec . 2016, Sept 2019 Metal Shaper Of The Year 2021

Just my two cents, Kerry, but I wouldn’t chop it up with an accent color. Let the body lines do all the talking. It’s such a cool swoopy body. Finish it out lazer straight and show off those lines.

Set a Goal So Big That You Can't Achieve It Until You Grow Into The Person That Can.
Old 09-30-2023, 12:49 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Oct. 2019

I went through hell for months on color, I feel your pain. First of all I'm not a great painter and I was going to be painting various portions of the car over the course of about a year so I ruled out metalics. You pretty much have to spray them while the car is together so the metalic lays right. The car is very curvy so I wanted a darker color to enhance the contours. I originally wanted the car to be a darker blue but the only ones I liked were metallic colors. I considered British Racing green (because it looks like an MGB sort of) but again the solid one were drab looking and the only one I liked was the metallic version on the late model Minis. Red was about all I was left with and it took me months to find the red that was pure and rich enough. I finally settled on Southern Polyurethanes red and was happy with the result. Painful process though.

Name:  IMG_6685.jpg
Views: 1897
Size:  158.3 KB

MGB roadster widened 11.5", Corvette C-4 suspension, 535 hp supercharged LT1 V8, T-56 6 speed.
Pictures here: It goes to Part 6 now
Part 1
http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,7581
Part 2
http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,22422
Old 10-01-2023, 01:09 PM

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Resizer_16961834619751.jpeg (95.8 KB, 1915 views)
File Type: jpeg Resizer_16961834623493.jpeg (97.3 KB, 1922 views)
File Type: jpeg Resizer_16961834625595.jpeg (97.1 KB, 1926 views)
Old 10-01-2023, 05:35 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Thanks Matt. I'm scared of metallics too Jim. My original plan was 1965 GM Crocus yellow.

Matt, would you do one in that color?

The alternative is metallic silver but if I do that, I'll definitely have someone else spray the color. The only times Ive sprayed metallics, I had tiger stripes.
Old 10-01-2023, 06:44 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October 2012

I like solid (non-metallic) colors myself. You can touch up small chips with a tiny paint brush so they are really a more practical color for a car that you are actually going to drive in the real world. ~ John Buchtenkirch
Old 10-01-2023, 08:22 PM

I'm a Pontiac guy and had more of a '65 Mayfair Maize color in my head. And your Chevy color reminded me of Bamboo on a 72 Olds I had. But I have the web found sample, code YY.

I like silver for the car and could banter that silver is more forgiving application-wise in base / clear. But solids for the win, on a period look. Personally I might opt for a more oddball hue in a pastel (not too bright) color that is as forgiving filler-wise as Crocus Yellow.

Pale neutrals are the most challenging colors for me to render and these color glance images have lots of room for sprucing up I just didn't know what one to focus on. So, patience prevails and I'll see how close I can get. Devices vary so widely, colors can only be approximate but I know what to do. Meant to finish out the windshield but it is time consuming so I kicked out those little roughs. Might need to ditch the green surroundings to get a better interpretation.

A two tone could jazz it up but don't just do fenders, put the accent color on top of fuselage as was a style for some?
Old 10-02-2023, 10:46 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Sept. 2015, Nov. 2019

Name:  IMG_20211018_162700198_BURST000_COVER.jpg
Views: 1779
Size:  107.1 KBAttachment 66816

Attachment 66817Attachment 66816My car is painted in a BMW metallic silver. It looks great with curvy lines. My painter struggled through the process. Had to redo some. Painted the complete car together. One spot on the rear where a very small drop came out of the gun....it shows as a black dot. Would need to spray the whole back to fix....maybe. I'm living with it. .

On a side note my coupe that i daily drive was parked in a store lot and bonked in the nose by a unoccupied car that rolled away. I repaired and sprayed the front half of the fender, looks good except where the blend is. didn't have enough paint to spray the whole fender and i drive the crap out of this car........shit happens Metallic gray.
Old 10-03-2023, 11:17 PM

Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Resizer_16963927455411.jpeg (155.9 KB, 1793 views)