All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > GETTING STARTED > Introductions
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 03-23-2021, 06:33 AM

Default Greetings from Maryland

My name is Mike and I live in Brandywine, Maryland. I’m currently restoring a 1931 and a 1934 Ford along with some early mustangs. I need all the metal tips I can get or help others if I can. I just got a x-181 Milwaukee planishing hammer head and need all the help I can get on finding hoops, dies, and other info so I can get started using it. I look forward to the great help from this community.
Old 03-24-2021, 05:08 PM
MetalShaper of the month Feb.-11, July - 2018, Sept. 2020

Welcome to the forum Mike! I’m down here in Leonardtown myself. That Milwaukee planishing Hammer is being reproduced now so hoops are available new to fit unless you can come across used ones. Will try and get the order info and post it for you later.

Instagram @ mccartney_paint_and_custom

McCartney Paint and Custom YouTube channel
Old 03-24-2021, 07:52 PM

Mike, if you are on Instagram, here is the source for the reproduction Milwaukees. Their parts are direct replacement with the originals. The story lines at the top show the different kits they have, for separate hoops I would send a message...

https://www.instagram.com/tin_mans_garage/

Old 03-30-2021, 04:42 AM

Robert,
Hey neighbor! It’s great to meet another fabricator so close. I took a look at your Instagram and I like what you do. I might have to get some wisdom from you regarding some of my other projects. As far as the planishing hammer, I did see the reproduction hoops and dies and they look nice. I’m weighing my options on how to proceed as it would get a bit pricey for all the pieces I would want.
Old 03-30-2021, 08:52 AM

Mike, I would say the use of the planishing hammer should include exercised caution. In the recent Model A door skin job we did...

https://www.allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?t=19947

…..we originally only intended to fabricate the one skin shown in the first picture. Scott had recently purchased one of the reproduction X-181 planishing hammers and had removed the inner bracing of the other door to planish out those dings/dents, and thought he was done with it. The PH did a fairly good job of smoothing things out but his approach was a bit overzealous in that you could feel a ridge around the entire perimeter of the "repaired" area. Basically he had stretched a plateau that pushed out from where the skin should have been. That's primarily why we went ahead and made two matching skins.

So just like sandblasting, the size of the hammer (media size) and the velocity of the swing (air pressure) can rear their ugly head and make more work for you. Each job may have a different measured response.