All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > General Discussion
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 03-29-2023, 11:34 AM

Default 5052

Did my search regarding 5052 aluminum and it seems that is best used on doors, hoods and decklids as well as motorcycle gas tanks. Basically dent prone panels. So what are some thoughts for beaded floors panels, bulk heads and other structural components? 5052 H32 4' x 10' 0.050 for $125.00 ea.
Old 03-29-2023, 11:32 PM

What type of welding will you use?

ærugo nunquam dormit
Old 03-30-2023, 06:54 AM

I'm a total beginner to aluminum. What rod would be best? I'm considering building a AC Cobra kids Car. I posted this question because I can get this material pretty cheap and sizes from 0.050 to 0.090. Lazze demonstrated that you can spot weld aluminum and I have a really good spot welder. So I'm considering using spot welds on the sup-structure and not using a frame.
Old 03-30-2023, 09:49 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan 2018

I use 5052 in dent prone body panels (that don't require much shaping) and also in areas like door frames that benefit from extra stiffness for sealing the wind and water out. Otherwise, I use 3003 for it's shape ability. One attribute of 5052 is that it work hardens very rapidly (I joke the you look at it harshly and it's now work hardened). So if you need to work it, you'll spend quite a bit of time annealing. In addition, it can be bit trickier to anneal than 3003.

Here's an example of a complex piece done in 5052 (lots of shape but no compound curves).

It welds fine via TIG (I'm guessing it does via O/A as well although I haven't tried that process on 5052).

The goldish hue is from annealing.

My opinion is to not let the price differential sway your decision on which alloy to use. I'll bet that if you attempt to use 5052 on a panel with significant compound curve shape, that you'll become frustrated very quickly. I do metal shaping as a hobby and thus for fun. It's not fun when the metal fights you along the way. You'll likely spend more time (and frustration) than the extra cost of obtaining the right alloy for the panel in question.
Old 04-01-2023, 01:15 AM

Default 5052h32

I use 5052h32 in some of the aircraft panels I make ,its just a little more difficult to shape/form than 3003h14. 5052 has a high corrosion resistance.
It does work harden ,the anneal temperature is 650F.....it is a little bit more dent resistant than 3003h14.....just a thought if your not required to use a certain aluminum you could just use thicker 3003h14. Just a thought....
Old 04-02-2023, 09:59 AM

Default heinke

Thanks that is what I was looking for, Thanks!!