All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 02-21-2021, 09:31 AM

Default Mag drill

What's everyone using for a mag drill? Any certain brands better than others without breaking the piggy bank. The poor old pig has been squeezed to thin and I don't want to hurt it too bad. Thanks in advanced. Steve

never-ever kick a fresh turd on a hot day!
Old 02-21-2021, 01:11 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfm1951 View Post
What's everyone using for a mag drill? Any certain brands better than others without breaking the piggy bank. The poor old pig has been squeezed to thin and I don't want to hurt it too bad. Thanks in advanced. Steve

Great tool for drilling square down/sideways into thick metal.
Used high quality always best economy, IMO/experience.

"Cole drill." ??
http://ssf.f15ijp.com/wiki/index.php/Cole_drill

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.

Last edited by crystallographic; 02-21-2021 at 02:48 PM.
Old 02-21-2021, 07:07 PM

Default Mag Drills

It kinda depends on what you want to do, and where it needs to fit.

Many mag drills only use annular cutters and do not have much stroke. I have a compact Jancy unit that can slip in between, where my Milwaukee drill won't fit.

My Milwaukee has a much longer stroke, and weighs twice as much. It has a large, and small Jacobs chuck so I can use silver and deming (twist drill) bits.

But with both, you have to have some substantial steel to fasten it to. They have safety switches, that if they don't have enough magnetic attachment force, they won't allow you to drill.

And yes, you should tie them to something, because of the power stops for any reason, they drop like a rock.

Lastly, they are energy hogs. Long cords and anything less than 12G, and it fries the electronics inside.

I bought mine at something we used to have in California in the olden days called Swap Meets.... Another victim of the Newsom Emergency Orders.

Ron Covell, Autofuturist books (Tim Barton/Bill Longyard) and Kent White metalshaping DVD's available, shipped from the US. Contact lane@mountainhouseestate.com for price and availability.
Old 02-21-2021, 07:20 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October 2012

I have them but I certainly wouldn’t consider them a sheet metal tool, the magnetic base would have a hard time holding onto thin sheet although you could probably have some success if you backed the sheet with heavier plate. They generally go for strong money even used at swap meets and the roto-broch / annular style tooling is also expensive but great when you need holes in thicker plate. As I get older and admittedly weaker they seem heavy, big & clumsy to get located on the job especially with horizontal drilling. Maybe you could rent one if you have one big job that really needs one ~ John Buchtenkirch
Old 02-21-2021, 09:13 PM

Default Mag dril

I forgot to say it will be used to drill holes in my welding table 5'x 10' by 1/2" on a 6 inch grid for holding fixtures. Probably 100 holes . And a chassis table. My shoulder won't take it anymore. Plus other projects. Thanks, Steve

Old 02-21-2021, 10:46 PM
MetalShaper of the Month February 2024

How about the poor man's alternative to a mag drill?
I drilled andtapped 199 1/2-13 holes in this table top and 400 in another table using my floor standing drill press. I started at the edge using a few c-clamps to hold the base down. I tapped some of the holes as I went so I could use them to clamp the drill press base down. I know it's not as nimble as a mag drill but if you have a drill press it's a zero dollar solution.

Old 02-22-2021, 12:01 AM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltboy49 View Post
How about the poor man's alternative to a mag drill?
I drilled andtapped 199 1/2-13 holes in this table top and 400 in another table using my floor standing drill press. I started at the edge using a few c-clamps to hold the base down. I tapped some of the holes as I went so I could use them to clamp the drill press base down. I know it's not as nimble as a mag drill but if you have a drill press it's a zero dollar solution.

Yeh, the powered but non-clamping version of the Cole Drill.

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 02-22-2021, 10:59 AM
MetalShaper of the Month May 2020. October 2023

Steve, a quick look on Craigslist shows a portable for $50 in Fridley, it isn't magnetic, but those Black and Decker motors are strong. Or just a Harbor freight Drill press as a throwaway for $70.
Old 02-22-2021, 11:05 AM

Default Welding table

For a single use like that, think about using a rented unit.

The holes will end up in better alignment if you just take the plate to a water jet company, have the plate squared and holes made with a water jet. A buddy did that with great success.

Ron Covell, Autofuturist books (Tim Barton/Bill Longyard) and Kent White metalshaping DVD's available, shipped from the US. Contact lane@mountainhouseestate.com for price and availability.
Old 02-23-2021, 09:18 AM

The table was already built 5x 10 kinda hard to move . When I got the table the holes were an after thought. Got the table for free.