All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 03-17-2022, 10:42 AM

Default Part advice needed

Hello I have been asked by a friend to make this part. I have a large English wheel and a mini English wheel, shinker stretcher, bead roller. I have made some basic parts but none with this many contours. I was looking for advice on how best to break this down and put together. Any help greatly appreciated Thank you

20220317_112205.jpg

20220317_112252.jpg

20220317_112326.jpg
Old 03-17-2022, 12:37 PM

What part is it? Make, model, year and where? If it was me I'd look first for used or part of used. I know we make stuff but sometimes.......
Old 03-17-2022, 02:24 PM

Thanks for replying. It's a hudson part. And have been down the spare parts road. He got the passenger side but can't find the drivers side. Looking for suggestions on how to break down the part to help aide in making. Or maybe it's just beyond a novice sheet metal worker.
Old 03-17-2022, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46chevinline6 View Post
Thanks for replying. It's a hudson part. And have been down the spare parts road. He got the passenger side but can't find the drivers side. Looking for suggestions on how to break down the part to help aide in making. Or maybe it's just beyond a novice sheet metal worker.

First thing....
It looks like multiple pieces welded together. Perhaps three???
So you need to determine if that is the way the panel was originally made or is there some patch work done on that part.
If the panel is made from multiple pieces then you would need to do the same thing. Make the new part in multiple pieces.
So you would need to break the original panel down to it's individual parts.
Then make patterns from those parts and go from there.
Old 03-17-2022, 04:43 PM

In addition to previous advice, take a paper pattern of the part so that places where shrinking and stretching are needed, can be identified easily,

Cheers Charlie
Old 03-17-2022, 05:08 PM
MetalShaper of the Month January 2020, March 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by 46chevinline6 View Post
Not being sarcastic, just curious- how much of a novice (metalshaper) are you? And how's your welding? That part has got a lot going on. but if you're capable (now or after more practice) of doing various pieces and welding them together as needed, it would be a good way to get better.

If I was doing it, I would probably end up making several pieces to weld together. To me, this probably means breaking each of the three(?) original pieces into more than one piece comprising a more simple shape that I could possibly do. Based upon my experiences so far, The initial pieces would likely end up being scrap as I figured out what did and didn't work. so I would want to make better parts as I figured out how to do a better job.

The impossible things are what need to be divided into smaller pieces that are easy or at least easier to produce. Stretching is easy. Shrinking is hard. Deep shrinking (distance from edge) is much harder if not effectively impossible for mere mortals with hand tools. I like paper patterns because they tell me a lot about shrink or stretch. If there's lots of overlap (indicating shrinking) it's time for me to seriously reconsider thing to limit the amount of shrinking needed. Or I may be able to stretch the piece by blocking the interior to create the same shape without shrinking the edge. That kind of critical perspective and ability is the result of ever more practice.

It may seem ridiculous to have 20' of welding connecting 20 little pieces together to make a small part, but as an exercise this has helped me. envision the part cut into many, many parts that were each relatively simple to make by forming/bending or with very minor shaping- Like lots of paper patterns with very few cuts indicating needed stretching or shrinking. Then work backwards to reduce the number of pieces that need to be made. As a relevant metaphor, this is how complex car bodies are built by the experts. Maybe someday I'll be at that level if I keep practicing doing the same thing with smaller parts.

To start, begin bending & shaping a piece or two of metal to fit closely over the original part. Again- no sarcasm intended- this will help you understand what is easy and what seems impossible for you as a craftsman. I'm always surprised at what different people think is easy or hard, based upon their experience and ability. I still make lots more scrap than I want to, but my parts keep getting better....

Hope this helps. Keep us posted on your progress.

Edit- meant to mention that all those scrap pieces I make get cut up and used for welding practice, usually over and over again until they're completely exhausted....

Last edited by cliffrod; 03-17-2022 at 05:14 PM. Reason: See edit
Old 03-17-2022, 05:51 PM

Sorry, thought we might be talking something GM.
for a part like that I would think about a hammer form. If you have the part from the opposite side like in the picture you could have a mirror shaped part made in wood. It could be done with a machine like a Kurt Carving Machine.
Old 03-17-2022, 05:54 PM

Hi thanks everyone for replying. To answer some of the questions. I am better than a average welder have lots of experience welding thin material.

The part is made in one piece Originaly as far as I can tell no signs of welding it in pieces. Probably stamped but iam no expert.

The part is very complicated with compound and reverse curves happening. I wish I had hid my equipment and wouldn't be in this situation.

My buddy ( just take a piece a metal and put it in your english wheel and whip that up for me)

I will take your advice so far and break it down into smaller piece and give it a try.

Thanks
Old 03-17-2022, 07:56 PM

What area of the car does this part go to???
Also any chance you can post some more pictures of it from different angles.???
Old 03-17-2022, 11:51 PM

Might be good to show the back side as well. This can sometimes tell a lot of the story too.

TX
Mr fixit
Chris