All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Welding Sheet Metal
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 03-22-2022, 10:11 AM

Default Spot Welders and cutting costs.

I did not want to highjack the prior post re. spot welding. This is to be considered a editorial as this is my opinion.

I do not understand restoration companies charging $80-$100 and hour or more and having at least 3 full time welders, NOT constantly investing in more tools! A really good spot welder ($25,000.00 minimum) is a must! Not only can it give the jobs a factory weld look but should cut costs to the customer. I deem it ill responsible for any shop owner to not reinvest in tooling to cut cost.

I have two first hand accounts where price gouging has taken place. One shop insisted in using Dremel tool type cutoff wheels not the 3-4" ones for the grinder. That same shop shamed me for consuming a tank of oxygen in 3 weeks when they where consuming one bottle per 6 months.
The other shop told me to log 2 1/2 hours for grinding when I was looking for parts in the attic.
I quit both on the spot!

A shops reputation is not based solely on quality of work.
Old 03-24-2022, 08:39 PM

way back in the day I had a restoration shop and bodyshop

we use to drill and plug weld then grind and dress the area all to replicate a spot weld.

then one day I 'hit my head' and realized that I should just buy a spot welder.
what i difference in time and finish that made. plus i got extra tips so i could modify some to make a large spot that would replicate what was done on some of the 60s cars (for restorations)

I’ve been told that I’ve never met a tool I didn’t like, people on the other hand...