All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Software for Metalshaping
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 11-13-2015, 07:59 AM

Richard, thanx for the tip on Fusion 360. Checked it out and it seems to work well. I currently use 2 other programs...one for solid modeling and the other for cnc programming but they are getting old and importing from one to another is a bit of work. And being retired doesn't help....only use the program's once in a while so you forget a lot.

George

If you are afraid to fail, you will never learn
Old 11-13-2015, 10:31 AM

I used to use Solidworks but got tired of the yearly $$$$ maintenance fees and then used HSMExpress (free) for the CAM portion. I finally sold my license to a friend and don't regret it.

Over the past six months, ported everything over into Fusion 360. There are still some things that aren't quite Solidworks-worthy yet on the CAD side, but the fact that 360 has 95% of HSMWorks for CAM integrated into it is worth the change alone. The yearly fee for using this is so minor that I'm glad to pay it even if I can use it for free. I want to see it succeed. Updates and upgrades happen monthly with more features integrated.

I've used customer support several times and always helpful. Can't say that about my Solidworks experiences over the past several years.
Old 11-13-2015, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superleggera View Post
I used to use Solidworks ...
Over the past six months, ported everything over into Fusion 360....
Mark, since you have used them both, my question is: How does Fusion 360's modeling "thinking process" for lack of a better term, compare to SW's? I was familiar with very old Autocad, then got into SW classes through my local Community College. It took a while to catch onto SW's different modeling approach as it was much different that the old Autocad I was used to. However, once I got used to SW's "thinking", I like it and am very comfortable with it.

My student software times out after 12 months, so I retake the course, and get the latest SW software free along with access to a tremendous instructor's help, all for bargain prices. (tuition and fees at CCs are halved for students over 60 in Ill) One change this semester is that the student version is lacking some features of the latest release. In the past we were issued a nothing held back version with full functionality, nothing was different, except for the built-in timer.

I am a big fan of open-sourced software: I have used Gimp for years for photo-editing and found it extremely powerful, with numerous plug-ins available to fill in Gimp's gaps. That experience has lead me to start researching this open-source 3D cad: http://www.freecadweb.org/ as an alternative to SW. Caveat: so far I don't know enough about FreeCad to comment one way or another.

Also interested in low cost CAD like Fusion 360, so any and all input is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by weldtoride; 11-13-2015 at 02:22 PM.
Old 11-14-2015, 08:51 AM

Downloaded OK, thought I would have a look.
Excuse my ignorance but cant "Run" or open it.
All OK in Program files etc.
I know it isnt metalwork as such but Ive been using Autocad for years, which has always been fit for purpose but ridiculously expensive for DIY.
Any quick ideas?

"Everything is in the system, if it aint working, the system aint right"
Old 11-14-2015, 11:06 AM

Richard:

Try Draft Sight http://www.downloaddu.com/draftsight...?kw=draftsight .

It is just like Auto Cad but free. For $200.00 you can get what they call a "tool box" which allows you to insert all nuts, bolts, and washers. Also holes, balloons, bills of material, welding symbols, surface finish and so on.

Take a look at their introduction https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fNAzBwd6V5A .

Jere
Teaching The Fundamentals of Metal Shaping
www.jerekirkpatrick.com

All tools are a hammer except the chisel.....That's a screwdriver.
Old 11-14-2015, 01:36 PM

Downloaded and seems to be exactly the same as Autocad.
As it says on the tin, pulled in dxf files from my other bits and pieces, opened all and allowed me to work on the files with no upset.
Been waiting years for someone to do that.

"Everything is in the system, if it aint working, the system aint right"
Old 11-14-2015, 03:21 PM

I thought I had lost all of my DWG files from 1992 onward until I found Draft Sight. I kept my old hard drives from old computers for years. Thanks to DS and a young kid I now have them on my newest computer.

Jere
Teaching The Fundamentals of Metal Shaping
www.jerekirkpatrick.com

All tools are a hammer except the chisel.....That's a screwdriver.
Old 11-20-2015, 09:35 AM

I use solidworks , I like the program but maintenance and the sales system sucks . you have to go threw one company on the east coast to get it . I bought the basic program in 2008 and upgraded in 2013 been using it since . The maintenance is BS the basic program stayed the same they just add stuff to it around 2010 it changed a lot but it still has limits . when i bought it they sold me a years maintenance and i would call and get some kid who was not that good at it . Then i discovered youtube . i never bought the maintenance again. The sales person calls me once in a while but he admitted to me that some company's still use older versions . for the basics it still works fine dont buy the new version every year .
James
Old 11-20-2015, 11:20 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Feb 2015

One of the down sides of Solidworks is the fact that you can't open a drawing with an older version that was created in a newer version. For a business this almost forces you to keep upgrading if you want to be able to communicate with other business. There are ways around this but it can be a bit of a hassle.

Don't believe everything you think.
Old 11-20-2015, 11:29 AM

If the file is saved in an .xt format you can.

https://www.facebook.com/ADFAB48/