All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Miscellanous products related to metalshaping
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 10-21-2019, 06:35 AM

Default 1000/1100 aluminium sheet in Sth. Australia

Unable to find some 1000/1100 aluminium sheet , temper 0 (fully annealed),
.040” or .060” in Adelaide. Want to do some hand formed sheet metal on a motorcycle plus some other more arty stuff.

Problem is, I cannot find this aluminium in Adelaide. Does anyone know where I can get this in Australia?

Regards Adrian
Old 10-21-2019, 09:13 AM

Default soft aluminum

I was told, by a mill in the States, that they don't ship annealed aluminum sheet because it is too fragile. It never got to it's destination without damage, so they stopped doing it.

I buy hardened and anneal myself.
Old 10-21-2019, 04:53 PM

Makes sense regarding fully annealed, thanks for that. The problem here in Aus is even getting some 1100 aluminium. I was very kindly informed by a local motor body builder that he uses 5005 H34 half hard. Probably more strength required for a car body than what I’m doing. Will try this if I can’t get some 1100.
Cheers
Old 10-21-2019, 08:33 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Nov. 2018, Jan. 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwaterline View Post
Makes sense regarding fully annealed, thanks for that. The problem here in Aus is even getting some 1100 aluminium. I was very kindly informed by a local motor body builder that he uses 5005 H34 half hard. Probably more strength required for a car body than what I’m doing. Will try this if I can’t get some 1100.
Cheers
Hi Adrian, 5005 is pretty much all we can get in NZ as well. Some of the long established guys here import their own 1100 (Rod Tempero?) but most of the guys use 5005 and anneal as required. I used it last year to build a Ducati Imola tank (1.6mm) as a beginner and got there in the end. Been suggested that I should have used 2.0mm if the tank was going to be polished. Be interested to see what you are building. Have a cafe racer in the back of my head for when I've finished the BMW race car.
Old 10-22-2019, 12:23 AM

We have similar materials constraint difficulties here in South Africa. I use 1050 H14 which is half-hard and forms very well. You can always anneal it further if required and I use Sharpie ink to mark the panel prior to heating, and when it vanishes after heating, I know that the metal's beautifully annealed.

Remember that the best of men, are only men at best.
Old 10-22-2019, 05:37 AM

Thanks Manny, good tip re the sharpie (pun intended . Richard, I’m trying to make a front guard for a Velo LE, maybe do some other things to a MAC I recently purchased. I’m done with resto to original, time to have some fun. Impressed that you made a tank, not sure if your thread was the one with oxy welded tank, if so, doubly impressive!
Frustrating re the 1100 aluminium! So many things have disappeared, monel metal, silicon bronze sheet, foundries, red lead paint, hardening compounds. It seems if the mining companies don’t need stuff, then no one else does. Enough moaning, I’ll keep looking!
Old 10-22-2019, 03:39 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Nov. 2018, Jan. 2021

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwaterline View Post
Thanks Manny, good tip re the sharpie (pun intended . Richard, I’m trying to make a front guard for a Velo LE, maybe do some other things to a MAC I recently purchased. I’m done with resto to original, time to have some fun. Impressed that you made a tank, not sure if your thread was the one with oxy welded tank, if so, doubly impressive!
Frustrating re the 1100 aluminium! So many things have disappeared, monel metal, silicon bronze sheet, foundries, red lead paint, hardening compounds. It seems if the mining companies don’t need stuff, then no one else does. Enough moaning, I’ll keep looking!
A noddy bike! I remember that our nearby village bobby had one in Yorkshire. 'Whispering death' was also one of the nicknames for the LE I recall. Please post some pictures of your progress on both. The Imola tank was my first attempt at some serious shaping and there is a fairly detailed thread on this forum - http://allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?t=18395 Used the tig on this project and trying to improve my O/A skills, but not yet to the point where I'm prepared to unleash on the Group 5 BMW bodywork. Nice thing I guess about 5005 is that once you have planished it up, it's pretty strong and a bit more dent resistant than the softer grades. I'm currently shearing my rods from the parent sheet, so if you did want a polished finish, the weld won't leave a stain.
Old 10-23-2019, 06:10 AM

Richard, some good points there. Re 5005, It does seem a car body needs enough strength to self support and to resist some human contact. I may be on to something re 1100, will let you know if it works out. Will look up your thread.

Re the LE, sadly all the single Velo guys seem to despise them. I’ve removed the body for painting and, wow, this thing is ripe for some sort of steam punk work.
Old 10-29-2019, 04:21 PM

Thought some maybe interested, have found a supplier of 1150 temper O in Melbourne. They are a wholesaler, but seemed willing to deal with an individual. I did ask about putting their details on this forum, they were ok with that.
I purchased 1.2, 1.5. & 2.0. May not be suitable for auto bodywork but ok for smaller things.

Garmco 268-280 Greens rd Dandenong 03 9767 3000

Remember they are a wholesaler so probably full sheets only and this stuff needs to be shipped on a pallet which costs.

Regards all