All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > General Discussion
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 08-15-2022, 06:45 AM
MetalShaper of the month Feb.-11, July - 2018, Sept. 2020

Default Pullmax from Ford's prototype shop?

I picked up a P2 this weekend that will be heading west later this month. I was told this came from a machinery dealer out of Detroit many years back, and that it had been in the Ford prototype shop. He did say that no dies came with it when he got it.

Now I've heard the "tall" tale of the Pullmax sold by Ford, and it also had a store room full of dies used to make any and all parts before anything went into production, to include stainless trim for the 55 T-bird. So, especially for the fellas in the MI area @essexmetal Rick? Has anyone heard the same story that can verify that it was a Pullmax P2?

Instagram @ mccartney_paint_and_custom

McCartney Paint and Custom YouTube channel
Old 08-15-2022, 06:50 AM

You could check with Stan Fulton with your serial number, he has alot of the original pullmax records. He was able to tell year, what vessel it was shipped on and original buyer.
Old 08-15-2022, 08:08 AM
MetalShaper of the Month April 2020, September 2021, November 2022

Robert. Good catch.
Old 08-15-2022, 11:54 AM

Default P2’s

I don’t know about the story, but here’s another one for you.

Short throat P2’s were the machine used to demo Pullmax to schools in hopes of getting them in the sheet metal school programs. There are pictures with them mounted in vehicles.

I had one with a VFD so that it could plug into 110v outlets. It was on wheels and could roll out of the way in my smaller shop. I sold it to someone in Colorado.

Ron Covell, Autofuturist books (Tim Barton/Bill Longyard) and Kent White metalshaping DVD's available, shipped from the US. Contact lane@mountainhouseestate.com for price and availability.
Old 08-15-2022, 12:21 PM
MetalShaper of the month Feb.-11, July - 2018, Sept. 2020

Looks like the Detroit eqpt dealer he got it from may have been confused as to where it originated. Stan got me squared away, it was originally bought for Maine Township High School West in Des Plaines, IL.

BDE0C138-6AEF-410C-818B-B9C1F05A0829.jpeg

Instagram @ mccartney_paint_and_custom

McCartney Paint and Custom YouTube channel
Old 08-15-2022, 01:37 PM

Robert, when it comes to the Big Guys flushing out old depreciated machines from the shops, anything is possible to where they spent their original years. Back when plasma cutters were gaining in popularity you could not move through the dealers around Detroit from all the Pullmax's and Lennox's that hit their floors.

I thought there was a lot of surplus in California when I lived there. I was not ready for the amount of equipment that was available in the used market in Detroit. Then they closed up Grumman in NY and the dealers out there were choked with the stuff metalshapers really want. Many people may still remember Bond Industrial. They always had Erco shrinkers and HD Flangers. They were as crooked as a used dealer can get. Always promised tooling with the machine and you never got it. The only way to buy from them was in person and they would still try to screw you. But they did have the equipment.

Those were the days when Michigan Pneumatic would sell you a fully rebuilt 36" CP hammer for $695. Powerhammers still abandoned in back lots, etc.

I think the asking prices of the old machines currently for sale are quite fair given the limited availability and what they can produce. But it is a shame that the newer generation of metalshapers are not able to pick up a fully tooled P6 for under a $750. Or the smaller ones for "get it out of here" money.
Old 08-15-2022, 02:36 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Default Pullmaxes from GM Proto shop

Back when I would get calls from various proto shops (Ford, GM, Cessna, FMC...), I remember one call from the GM proto shop and along in the conversation the fellow said he had been there 30 years - and they had two Pullmaxes, iirc P5's. ... and the shop inventoried 14,000 sets of tooling. He added (in reply to my further queries) that the two machines made all of the proto trim and body lines for all the GM cars since sometime in the 1930's.

I remember when those machines sold at auction, and tooling was separately sold, there was a guy who went on yewtoob showing all about his vast collection of tooling and how some of it worked.

In answer to one query of mine, the GM guy answered, "the only markings on the tooling were inventory numbers - and you had to look that number up to find the model/year/application."
...FWIW....

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.
Old 08-15-2022, 04:21 PM
MetalShaper of the Month April 2020, September 2021, November 2022

Kent and Robert, something similar situation was here. They improved it by scrapping the tools - they had direct money for it. They then sold the empty machines. They had no idea that the tools were several times the price of the machines.
When greed and stupidity and market change opens its stupid arms..... craft and experts cry.
But I was lucky several times that I managed to arrive in time and connect both stories. In one case, I took a very long time to be persuaded by those people to buy it. Very reluctantly I agreed, but it was game, I would have jumped for the thing in a heartbeat, but that would have been a terrible price. I had to be slowly convinced and buy more things that I didn't need. For one time thing I wanted, I bought a whole truck whit things.... Sometimes it's a fool's game, just to understand their priorities and not reveal my.
I helped a lot of people who needed what I bought extra, but what I needed remained with me.
Old 08-16-2022, 08:13 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essexmetal View Post
Robert, when it comes to the Big Guys flushing out old depreciated machines from the shops, anything is possible to where they spent their original years. Back when plasma cutters were gaining in popularity you could not move through the dealers around Detroit from all the Pullmax's and Lennox's that hit their floors.

I thought there was a lot of surplus in California when I lived there. I was not ready for the amount of equipment that was available in the used market in Detroit. Then they closed up Grumman in NY and the dealers out there were choked with the stuff metalshapers really want. Many people may still remember Bond Industrial. They always had Erco shrinkers and HD Flangers. They were as crooked as a used dealer can get. Always promised tooling with the machine and you never got it. The only way to buy from them was in person and they would still try to screw you. But they did have the equipment.

Those were the days when Michigan Pneumatic would sell you a fully rebuilt 36" CP hammer for $695. Powerhammers still abandoned in back lots, etc.

I think the asking prices of the old machines currently for sale are quite fair given the limited availability and what they can produce. But it is a shame that the newer generation of metalshapers are not able to pick up a fully tooled P6 for under a $750. Or the smaller ones for "get it out of here" money.
I couldn't agree more. I'm glad I bought what I own back then. I couldn't afford it today. ~ John Buchtenkirch
P.S. I went to all the Grumman, Fairchild and Sperry auctions and ran out of $$$ .