All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 11-25-2012, 11:10 AM

Default Stomp Shear: Proper way to use one?

I just foolishly traded for an OLD Niagara 36" stomp shear and now realize I messed up; it has lots of play in the babbitts and even a giant brazed repair in one of the cast parts. The blades actually look/feel nice but it is hard to cut even a little piece of 18 gage... I think I never realized you really have to STOMP!

I know I need to sit the shear level and align the blades properly, but what else? Is it OK to literally jump on the foot pedal?

Any instructions on basic use of an old worn out shear with nice blades would be helpful!
Old 11-25-2012, 11:23 AM

I helped a friend set his blades on a 52" shear. .001 in the center and .002-3 on the edges. You have to make sure your shims can't move. Also it is best that the upper blade never goes higher then the top of the lower.
As far as stomping, yes, that is why they call it a stomp shear. Some times it takes 2 stomping on it to cut.
Old 11-25-2012, 12:42 PM

Default barry larson

My tip of the day is to work in the midle of the machine...They seem to be sharper ..less used...and if you get it set up on your lines and put a little presure on the pedle to hold it in place you can get a good jump on it to cut the part.. i find it is a boyth feet operation on 18 gage......places out there sharpen blades . We had a bed knife grinder at work and i would touch ours up and you could sure tell the deference....... Barry L
Old 11-25-2012, 02:41 PM
Administrator

When I set up a stomp shear I adjust it cut a piece of paper from a tablet or printer. When it cuts it cleanly the clearance is about .002".

There is more than one way to go to town and they are all correct.
Old 11-25-2012, 02:48 PM

Yeah, you definitely have to stomp hard. I generally have to jump on it, and as stated need two people jumping on it for a long piece.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:08 PM

Thanks for the replies! I was very embarrassed to show how little I know... So now I'm wondering what gauge this shear is capable of. I have stomped 16 gauge at about 7" long, no more. It cuts cleanly but I don't want to risk ruining the shear by trying a 3 footer. I will post some pictures soon.

My next question is this: Is the play in the levers and shafts (worn, loose Babbitt) going to cause me any regret down the road? It did actually shear fine today.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:36 PM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2014

I had a fellow who works with me he is over three hundred pounds, the stomp shears don't seem to worry him. Then again he could probably cut quarter plate on it.
But I guess this doesn't help sorry.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:48 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Cliff, some of those 36" Niagaras are only rated at 20 gauge. I had one that I got from Dutch Comstock. It was pretty useless for any steel I wanted to shear. Mine had a data plate in the center above the bed.
Old 11-25-2012, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desoto View Post
I had a fellow who works with me he is over three hundred pounds, the stomp shears don't seem to worry him. Then again he could probably cut quarter plate on it.
But I guess this doesn't help sorry.
That DOES help!
Old 11-25-2012, 10:18 PM
Administrator

Once you get the shear sitting on a level floor see if it will cut a piece of paper. If it will the blades are set right. If it won't cut paper try a piece of card board like poster board and tell us what it does. If it just bends and doesn't cut you need to adjust the blades. If it has a hold down mechanism in front of the blade, and it should, does it come down and clamp the metal before it tries to cut.

Tell us more about the babbit, where is it?

If the shear is set up properly and the blades are sharp you should be able to cut a short piece of about 20 gauge metal without stomping on the treadle, just some pressure with your foot should make the cut.

There is more than one way to go to town and they are all correct.