Old 03-27-2021, 07:13 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec. 2019, Feb. 2022

Wow!

Just awesome Marcus.

my project:
http://www.allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?t=154
Old 03-28-2021, 07:05 PM
MetalShaper of the Month July 2021

What type of spot welder are you using and what total thickness would it weld?
Old 03-29-2021, 04:40 AM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2015, March 2020,, June 2022,Aug 2023

Many thanks for the comments guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisnz View Post
What type of spot welder are you using and what total thickness would it weld?
It is a locally made Dorman but don't think they are made anymore. The thing weighs a ton and was used to make limousines and funerals cars conversions when I bought it. It runs off a 15 amp power point and don't run well on a standard 10amp point.

I am welding two 1.2mm sheets with no problem at all and have to watch I don't hold the current on for too long as had a few burn holes right through! No timers and amperage adjustment on these but you get the feel for it and watch the colour and HAZ to get good results.
http://willyshotrod.com

Invention is a combination of brains and materials.
The more brains you use, the less materials you need.
Old 04-03-2021, 05:57 AM

Little details. Just putting in a small step to go over a flange. I just have a scrap piece of the same thickness I need to clear under this angle.

Good hard whack and one step created.

Neat and does the job.

Can see how it now goes over the mounting flange I spot welded to the sides. This piece is to take a seal for the tailgate to close against. It is not the finished width as I wont know that until I have the thickness of the tailgate stays installed.

Trying out different profiles for the stake pockets. Steel rulers give a good fair curve.

The blue steel that comes through the side is part of the floor mount. I designed the rear ones to extend through it so they can end up inside the stake pocket and they will be drilled and tapped to take bolts to reinforce the bed sides to stop them moving about. The front is secured to the front bed panel so doesn't require them.

This is the shape I decided on and just want it subtle and looking more professional than a piece of straight hat channel or box tubing.

Just trying out the shape and beading on a piece of scrap. When I make the final ones the flanges will be wider.

The curve shows up more once the face was added.

Just have a simple single bead running up the middle to match the ones I added to the grille extensions. It is the same size as the ones running across the back of the cab and the doors.

Old 04-03-2021, 07:37 AM

I think the curve looks neat but I probably would have gone with square tube in case you ever want to mount stake sides. Of course, the square tube would also keep that utilitarian look.
Old 04-03-2021, 08:33 AM

I see that as a support for the tail gate opening, not an extended stake receiver pocket.

I see Marcus developing something shorter, but in the same theme, for the intermediate pockets.

Old 04-04-2021, 05:51 AM

That is right. Will never be a stake pocket but bracing for the bed. I will be making a hinged hard cover for the whole bed as well later on.

Old 04-10-2021, 07:17 AM

Starting on the stake pockets. I am doing a pre-stretch for the 19 mm-3/4" bead roll that goes up the centre. Using a high crown anvil on the bottom and only running where the bead will be. To determine exactly how much I need to do I simply measured my test piece, which I hadn't pre-stretched, and saw that it had pulled the sides in 2 mm compared to the ends where there was no bead. So just kept wheeling until it increased the width by 2 mm.

Here is what is looks like after the bead was rolled. The bead ends still need to be rounded and the fold each side of it increased slightly.

Just using a piece of old water pipe to round the ends of the bead. The sides of the bead were just run along with the chaser. If the bead runs right to the ends of the piece you wouldn't need to pre-stretch. Just would have to take the shrinkage into account beforehand for you final measurements.

Folded the flanges over which straightened them out completely.

Using the shrinker and the stretcher on the flangers I was able to follow the pattern exactly.

All four done and look like they match well enough, especially since they will be six feet apart once mounted. You can also see where I marked where to switch from stretching to shrinking to make it curve one way then the other.

I folded up the rest to the sides and then laid the front piece over it. Scribed along the edge and cut the sides to match the curves. I tacked on both sides before the final welding to keep one side moving more than the other. I time my tacks to exactly between the initial heat expansion from the last tack and tack the next one before it tries to shrink past where it started. No stopping to hammer the tacks this way.

TIG welded in a quick single pass. Using 1.2mm lanthanated tungsten with 1.2mm mig wire for a filler rod to weld this 1.2mm steel.

To stretch the weld afterwards I used either a flat stake, or this shoe last inside the stake pocket. It depended if it was high or low along the weld line. Any low spots I jammed one end of the stake pocket into my chest while pulling down hard at the other end. This creates a upward force that needs to be greater than the hitting down of the hammer or flipper to raise the low area.

Came up pretty well I think. I have also now folded the extra I had at one end to make flanges to plug weld the stake pocket to the underside of the bed roll.

The stake pocket for the cab end I have integrated a end cap for the bed roll. The side is also wider as will be spot weld to the flange I turned at the end of the bed sides to make it double thickness. The end panel will then bolt through this flange.

Old 04-10-2021, 08:15 AM
ADMINISTRATOR MetalShaper of the Month Dec. '09 & May '11

Hi Marcus
More great progress!
I like the curved shape and the bead.
Well thought out and wonderfully executed.

Thanks for sharing
Steve
Old 04-10-2021, 08:47 AM
MetalShaper of the Month January 2020, March 2022

Great progress and great tutorial, Marcus. There's some very good information in there for plans I have. As always, thank you very much.