All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 03-13-2021, 11:12 PM
ADMINISTRATOR MetalShaper of the Month Dec. '09 & May '11

Hi Marcus
The bed side came out great!
Hope you have success with the second one.
Very creative approach!

Steve
Old 03-14-2021, 03:26 AM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2015, March 2020,, June 2022,Aug 2023

Thanks Pugsy and Frank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Hamilton View Post
Hi Marcus
The bed side came out great!
Hope you have success with the second one.
Very creative approach!

Steve
Thank you Steve.
I used this side panel as a test piece trying out different techniques to see what gave the best results for each step. I wont use this but cut it up for the front panel as worked out before I started that there was enough material below the rolled part to make it.

Need to go out and buy the sheets on Monday so I can build boths sides and the tailgate. Didn't get them earlier as really didn't know if it would work!
http://willyshotrod.com

Invention is a combination of brains and materials.
The more brains you use, the less materials you need.
Old 03-15-2021, 01:08 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec . 2016, Sept 2019 Metal Shaper Of The Year 2021

Marcus, I think the proportions look fine. We're used to seeing rear fenders that are a lot bulkier than the Willys fenders. We see less bedside and more fender with the typical stepside truck. The fenders are proportionate to the front fenders. The bedside is good against the the cab and the rolled top edge looks right to me. When your front and rear supports are in and you have the steps in, I think it will all work well together.

Set a Goal So Big That You Can't Achieve It Until You Grow Into The Person That Can.
Old 03-15-2021, 03:31 PM

Nice work, nice lines, and i do really like the look of the workbench for the finished look of the inner side off the bed. The gray, red and wood go perfectly together.
Thanks.for sharing.

Creative people do not see things for what they are, they see them for what they can be.
Old 03-15-2021, 04:42 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec. 2019, Feb. 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwin1 View Post
Nice work, nice lines, and i do really like the look of the workbench for the finished look of the inner side off the bed. The gray, red and wood go perfectly together.
Thanks.for sharing.

Ha, funny you mention this. I was gazing at the picture earlier today and saw this thinking the same thing.

my project:
http://www.allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?t=154
Old 03-15-2021, 07:55 PM

Great work Marcus,love the bending rack,nice thinking.
Old 03-16-2021, 03:55 AM

Great feedback everyone. Thank you.

Old 03-16-2021, 09:48 PM
MetalShaper of the Month July 2010, Dec 2011, Nov 2014, Feb 2016, March 2021

Hey Marcus,
Really nice job and well thought out.
Thanks for taking the time to share the details I'm
learning heaps from your build.
Old 03-27-2021, 07:03 AM

So to improve my handmade folds I bought some 100x100x10mm, 4"x4"x3/8", angle iron to better clamp down the sheet and extra forged G clamps. Another little thing not shown was I clamped a Vicegrip to the sheet directly behind the angle as well to stop it from getting pulled forward. Marked the sheet next to it so I could quickly see if it moved or not. Then placed the flipper on the edge and hitting it with the mallet worked well. No beadroller used this time.

As I didn't have a helper this time, I used a roller stand with a piece of timber clamped to the legs to stop them folding and it tipping over. Because it is not a compound curve, it worked well.

Got the same 90* roll again with no tracking outside the prescribed area. Got caught a few times on the test piece by the edge of the lower anvil causing a crease when the sheet curved enough that it would hit the adjuster causing the sheet to tilt.

I found the weight of the angle iron helped it pull over easier while still protecting the lower flange when I had my foot pushing down on it while hitting a block of timber with a 4 lb dead blow along the top all at once!

The last few millimeters were clamped down with the G clamp while the other clamp gives you adjustment in and out. Can see the inside was painted with weld through zinc primer.

The pipe I pulled it over was 32NB which has a 42.4mm outside diameter. I chose a smaller diameter than the inside of the roll to allow for spring back. It does stop you making it perfectly round though so I put in some 40NB pipe which is 48.3mm outside which is near on the 48.6mm inside the roll I was after. I drove in some box tubing that took up the exact space left while stopping and hitting around the pipe with the lead beating bat.

The tube was lubed and the inside sprayed with lanolin to help it go through but it still required using a short handled sledge hammer to drive it in.

There was a bit of a twist in it so I was able to force it out by clamping down opposite corners and levering up on the low corner. Had to switch to a tyre lever after this shot to get it perfect.

This is how well it came out after the pipe was removed and no other alterations were done.

I have done this three times now, test piece plus left and right sides, and it gets quicker with less effort and a better result.

The cab end gets a return flange folded over towards the inside. One side of the stake pocket will get spot welded to this and then the front bed panel will bolt through both thicknesses.

I found a bow in the back wall on one side right where the top of the front panel will run along. I could not shift it with a dead blow at all as the reinforcement is too strong. Bolted an old Willys door hinge to the hinge pocket and another to some threaded holes from the old back seat mount in the rear wall. Used these heavy duty turnbuckles to slowly pull it back into line and it came out millimeter perfect!

Old 03-27-2021, 09:44 AM
MetalShaper of the Month May 2018, July 2022

Superb job Marcus.