All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 02-11-2022, 08:50 PM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2015, March 2020,, June 2022,Aug 2023

Some pictures to go with the video.

All the contenders lined up in a row! Left to right and just out of shot is Dark Amber by DNA paints and is a candy. 2016-2018 Jeep Tank Green. A green I saw on a 32 Ford Roadster. Jeep Sting-Gray, ( also know as Ceramic Gray or Destroyer Gray ). Nissan Dark Green Pearl. Jeep Eco Green Pearl. House of Kolor Pagan Gold over Black. And the winner is Harley Davidson Olive Gold Pearl.

Plastic mini bonnet to see how HD Olive Gold looks on a flatter plane.

Light coming though the clear roofing panel. More of the gold pearl showing. Shows up the defects in the plastic bonnet too, so will have to be done over very good prep work.

Direct sunlight.

Evening light.

Finally got the steering wheel back on! Got rid of the tan lower half and airbag centre and matched it to the stock black top leather. Never liked the look of a modern steering wheel in a older car, but works out alright when all the interior matches with it.

Factory electric leather and heated seats bolted down to the donor floor for the first time. Exactly the right amount of room for my 191cm or 6'3" frame. I adjusted the seats to where I was comfortable before pulling down the donor and marked the floor to how long I wanted to make the cab. Seat height to top of the windscreen is the same as my KK Cherokee daily driver.

Console bolted right back into the factory mounts. The modules that were mounted under the donor back seats, I fitted inside the back of the console where the optional rear seat DVD player went.
http://willyshotrod.com

Invention is a combination of brains and materials.
The more brains you use, the less materials you need.
Old 02-12-2022, 06:04 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec. 2019, Feb. 2022

So nice ....... Wow.

my project:
http://www.allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?t=154
Old 02-12-2022, 09:41 AM

I was leaning towards a nice RED, like the Willis I almost bought several years ago.
Old 02-13-2022, 04:41 PM

Phenomenal !!!

Last edited by Rastus; 02-13-2022 at 04:44 PM.
Old 02-14-2022, 05:52 PM

Great job !!!
Old 02-15-2022, 04:31 AM

Many thanks guys.

Old 02-15-2022, 04:18 PM

I just finally found this thread and looked through it. WOW! Marcus, you have done an AMAZING job in this build! I'm envious of your skills, talent and eye for detail.
Old 02-15-2022, 09:01 PM

Very nice color choice, it will really showcase the work. The whole thing will make a stunning package and I hope that you duly enjoy your tailored ergonomics so much that you eventually wear out the vehicle. Might be tough to make the switch from working on it to using it but thats the big reward.
Old 02-16-2022, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockable View Post
I just finally found this thread and looked through it. WOW! Marcus, you have done an AMAZING job in this build! I'm envious of your skills, talent and eye for detail.
Thank you very much. I learned a lot though it all and can see the differences from the start to the ends panels. Temping to rework a lot of the early stuff, but is part of the story too and wont be seen once painted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivejunk View Post
Very nice color choice, it will really showcase the work. The whole thing will make a stunning package and I hope that you duly enjoy your tailored ergonomics so much that you eventually wear out the vehicle. Might be tough to make the switch from working on it to using it but thats the big reward.
Awesome, glad you like the colour.
Makes me nervous seeing the end of it too and also came out better than I expected. Makes it harder now with everything I do that I am trying not to stuff it up.

Old 02-16-2022, 04:51 AM

A couple of years ago some may remember me fitting the West Coast Jr. mirrors. Now that I have had a chance to actually sit in the vehicle and see how much I can see from the drivers seat, I realise I can use a mirror that is closer to the body. I found they look better on a stock width Willys than on a wide body one that I have made.

After much searching a few years ago I actually wanted these, so went and bought them this week. They are stainless and made by West Coast Metric and are a reproduction of the Type 2 and 3 VW bus mirrors.

I bought some half nuts in a matching 16x1.5mm thread to the mirror bases. The threaded section is not very long on the mirrors so I machined a step in the back of the nuts to sit flush with the front face of the stainless mounting plate. I noticed that the Totally Stainless version have a longer threaded mount and would be easier.

The reason I mounted them to a plate was so it would not only make for a stiffer mount, but so I could use a two part epoxy to hold the nuts in position so and can take the mirrors off and on later without any disassembly. Very awkward to hold the nut and had to move the window channel out of the way to get it in place.

I think these are better proportioned to the lower and wider cab than what I had. Less truck like and more custom as well.

This is a very strong area of the door too and there is no flex in the mount which will help against vibration.

Passenger side done the same.

Great to see the doors back on again after all this time too.