All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 02-03-2021, 06:16 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec. 2019, Feb. 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojeep View Post
Is there any drawback from using laminated side windows, apart from getting through them in time of an accident? Just thinking of getting them all made in laminate rather than toughened side glass.

Use tempered if you can. There will be no seam line to look at/come apart, and the cost is not much difference. Or is it down there?

How about the engineer? Will he be looking at that?

my project:
http://www.allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?t=154
Old 02-03-2021, 09:46 PM

Giday Marcus,

TAC in QLD wanted me to have all Windows Laminated on my Rod but I got away with toughened sides and back and I'm glad because 2 of the Windows are long and Acid Etched originals.

Stop moving so fast, you're creating a breeze.
Old 02-05-2021, 04:12 AM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2015, March 2020,, June 2022,Aug 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy View Post
Use tempered if you can. There will be no seam line to look at/come apart, and the cost is not much difference. Or is it down there?

How about the engineer? Will he be looking at that?
Yes, can't get it registered without approved glass that has been etched with the standards stamp. So toughened glass they start with non tempered and cut to the template and etch the stamp into it. Then it gets put in a kiln to be tempered.
Laminated gets cut from flat stock and etched when done.
Costs more here to get laminated I believe and all the windows on my donor Jeep had it. Can see the three layers though along the edge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onya View Post
Giday Marcus,

TAC in QLD wanted me to have all Windows Laminated on my Rod but I got away with toughened sides and back and I'm glad because 2 of the Windows are long and Acid Etched originals.
Good to know. I still see toughened/safety or tempered glass used here for side windows only though.
http://willyshotrod.com

Invention is a combination of brains and materials.
The more brains you use, the less materials you need.
Old 02-05-2021, 05:36 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec. 2019, Feb. 2022

I'll be using laminated windshield and tempered sides and back glass for sure.

The lami wind screen really helped me years ago when a truck threw up enough slush to push the windshield right into the front seat and myself.
Tempered probably may have blinded me.
The glass repair dudes asked me how I managed to get blobs of slush on the inside of the back window. What an experience.

my project:
http://www.allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?t=154
Old 02-06-2021, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123pugsy View Post
I'll be using laminated windshield and tempered sides and back glass for sure.

The lami wind screen really helped me years ago when a truck threw up enough slush to push the windshield right into the front seat and myself.
Tempered probably may have blinded me.
The glass repair dudes asked me how I managed to get blobs of slush on the inside of the back window. What an experience.
That would not be pleasant at all!

Old 02-06-2021, 06:14 AM

I had a couple of centre bars, both inside and out, that cover the join in the middle of the windscreen. While both inside ones were fine, the outside ones were rusted out at the ends.

Rather than try and patch up the best one of the two, I thought it would be quicker, and a better result, to replace it. I practised on the worse centre bar to make sure I could form the ends which was just done over the end of the bench with a mallet. I then folded up a new outer skin. Folded in the brake as far as I could and then hammered over the fold the rest of the way.

I made the flanges much wider than needed as they fold easier that way. Then trimmed them down to the final width.

Rather than add a crease in the folder at the beginning, I just ran the tipping wheel up the centre to give it some definition. This way it doesn't go into the area at the ends that will be formed next.

From the best centre bar I was able to use the back piece that the screws thread into from the inner piece. The inside of both pieces were first painted before being slid into place. The flanges hammered over tightly and then the very ends of the bar tipped over a cold chisel clamped into the vise.

The dog leg shape at the ends was bent to 45* one way over the edge of the bench before being tipped back the other way further along. They follow the profile of the seal perfectly.

Testing to check fit with the templates in place.

I am using the donor rear vision mirror. I had kept the mounting piece that is normally glued to the centre on the windscreen from the donor. I shaped the back of it to suit the profile of the inside bar. Just unscrewed the original Willys mirror and drilled and countersunk a hole so I could mount it to the bar.

The new mirror just slides over the mount as before and is tightened with a grub screw. Once the inner and outer bars are mounted together over the divider part of the seal, I will plug the mirror into the wiring harness already installed.

The crease now continues the peak that runs up the centre of the bonnet and into the roof. These were painted satin black or body colour from what I have seen. I will go with the former most likely to make it blend into the rubber seal. Did think about a chrome look and would have made it from stainless steel if I wanted to go that way.

Old 02-06-2021, 09:38 AM
ADMINISTRATOR MetalShaper of the Month Dec. '09 & May '11

Hi Marcus

Very nice work!
Details, details, details!

Steve
Old 02-06-2021, 05:32 PM

Default Superb

Superb absolutely superb
Old 02-07-2021, 01:59 PM

Default Tempered and lami glass

Hello Marcus,

about the glass: Long time ago I been in the automotive Industrie (sunroofs and later converible). For the windshield it is for the last decades only lami glass, no tempered aloud. The difference ist simple. Tempered glass is flat glas like glass for home windows and after cutting and edges grinded it is tempered (heated and shock cooling with air). After that the glassshop marking the glass with the app. Lami glass is produced the same way then temp but after that two plates of glass are glued together with a self adhesive plastic sheet. In an accident the window glass shattered but the broken pieces are hold by the plastic film; side, rear and sunroofs are shattered into pieces less then 3 or 4 mm and thown into the car (what a mess). The reason is that in an accident you have no access to the passengers. Try to cut the windshield.

BTW All respect for your car

Marcel
Old 02-08-2021, 04:16 AM

Same here, we are no longer allowed tempered glass for the windscreen, only laminated. Side and rear windows can be made from either, so long as they have the standards stamp on them.