All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Shop Safety
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 06-10-2019, 12:24 PM

Might be worth seeing if you can rent a telehandler type 4x4 forklift to make the move. When I did steel building construction, we were able to pull a 150 ton crawler crane out of the mud with one and not sink ourselves.

With the telehandler type unit, you can move the load very low to the ground by extending the boom, set it down and creep the unit up to the load and then repeat if need be, rather than just powering thru.
Old 06-15-2019, 04:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvairwerks View Post
Might be worth seeing if you can rent a telehandler type 4x4 forklift to make the move. When I did steel building construction, we were able to pull a 150 ton crawler crane out of the mud with one and not sink ourselves.

With the telehandler type unit, you can move the load very low to the ground by extending the boom, set it down and creep the unit up to the load and then repeat if need be, rather than just powering thru.
Thanks
Sounds like an option
Old 06-15-2019, 04:52 AM

Sorry Mr C for delay

Ill be hiring the forklift for a weekend, 11 feet is about right, by about 6 ish feet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.c View Post
Bart: I am still thinking about your logistics problem. How wide and how tall is the opening to your backyard shop? The dimensions that you gave for the length of the machine is like 11-12 feet to us yanks. Do you have to turn the machine to get it in the door? Also consider the height of the opening and that the boom on the forklift needs to clear with it raised to lift the machine.
Now if you have a door like I have that is 16'x16' you can just drive it in.
Also, is the forklift yours and will it need to reside in the shop anyway?
Old 06-15-2019, 04:54 AM

Yes I got the idea from something similar to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaroslav View Post
Swamp adjustment. Do you want to dry the swamp? I have a great idea.
In the distant past, this idea was used by engineers to adjust the cheap land that was swamp. Today, there are several factories and a large airport on these lands.
The owner gave his engineers the task of solidifying the land - to dry the swamp.
The swamp can be very well dried with water. As? What kind of crap is that? It's not stupid it's a simple and brilliant solution.
They started to draw water from the swamp to the nearby hill. The water from the hill washed away dirt and stones. All the material flowed back into the swamp. The weight of the material displaced water that was less and less.

A canal is excavated around the site to regulate the surrounding water. The land is still dry and perfectly reinforced. It was 100 years ago. The land was raised by 4m across the area. If you have a garden hose, you can try.

I like smart thoughts.

http://www.zlin.estranky.cz/clanky/b...e---batov.html

Old 06-15-2019, 05:00 AM

So looks like I will be getting a forklift and using the swamp mat method or similar to that, just a bunch of timber hardwood sleeper about 3 inch thick by 6.5 feet long by a footish wide about 17 of them. Ill drive up on them to the last sleeper, I can get out of the forklift and the sleepers left behind ill move them to the front of the forklift and continue forward and repeat this till I reach my rear garage.
If I remember during this excitement ill take pics. Hopefully no accidents. Ill keep the weight low as possible during this procedure.
Old 06-15-2019, 05:15 AM

https://www.facebook.com/ed.steenbur...1658348621280/
Old 06-15-2019, 05:21 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1wKoP_NoB8
Old 06-15-2019, 01:15 PM
MetalShaper of the Month April 2020, September 2021, November 2022

The video is nice. But I would have solved the swamp once and for all. Yes, it would do a lot of work and time, but the swamp would cease to exist where I don't want it.
Old 07-14-2019, 08:28 AM

Hi guys
Small update, so I got my machine and forklift, but there's an old section of concrete at the end of my driveway which pretty much crumbled under the load of the forklift and machine, so I had to back out as I didn't want to risk tipping or bogging. So I didn't even reach the "swamp mats"/timber sleepers, I got about half way to where I want to be (Which is my back garage)
Did someone mention using a skid plate? Where the machine can sit on a steel plate half inch thick basically and dragged up on the grass/crumbled concrete?? (Using a winch)
The machine is 3 ton. Its no light weight but not too extreme.
Thanks
Bart

Last edited by Bart; 07-14-2019 at 08:45 AM.
Old 07-14-2019, 09:49 AM

Sounds like a good option right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvairwerks View Post

Attached Images
File Type: jpg JCB_531-70_Telehandler_(15761521233)[1].jpg (82.4 KB, 36 views)