All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 05-04-2020, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Hamilton View Post
Nice work Jay.
Thanks Chris. It will be back in a few weeks. I have to radius the wheel wells and f
Straighten the hood. I'm sure I wi have to do a little filler on the doors and fenders due to limited access. Hopefully no filler in the rear 1/4s and get to spend some time playing with the new toy.

20200402_120856.jpg

20200402_120819.jpg

20200208_115154.jpg

Last edited by Steve Hamilton; 05-04-2020 at 09:37 PM.
Old 05-05-2020, 12:43 AM
MetalShaper of the Month October 2012

Some people that claim they don’t use Bondo, finish their metal work to a very high standard and then they or their painter use several coats of high build primers to reach perfection. Patching or straightening parts that will be chrome plated requires almost perfect metal finishing skills especially now that cyanide copper plating is being outlawed in many areas. Also I can’t mig weld any parts I repair for my plater, the welds are too hard and polish out high compared to the surrounding metal. Personally, I don’t enjoy preparing parts for plating, the work is too tedious and time consuming . ~ John Buchtenkirch
Old 05-05-2020, 03:54 AM

I wish I had known that owning one of these

is an unspoken essential for acceptance here.

Just like TIG and torch, and going to faraway meets, etc. Rich people stuff I'll never see.
Old 05-05-2020, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinister Sleds View Post
Don't really have an answer. I try only to deal with folks on a time and materials basis as each job is different. I tracked about 40 hrs in the Henry J roof and back. The customer told me there was 1 dent in the roof.

I probably have an equal amount of time in the hood. The body is all nicely crowned the bood however was rotted under the rear hinge frame. Make jig, remove frame, weld a 10"×4" panel on the rear edge and metal finish. The rear edge had no bead or fold over edge and is low crown so perfect storm. Once done it was similar to the body. Customer took it home and decided to grind off 1/8-1/4" after fabricating some front tilt hinge contraption with no adjustment And now there is a big bulge where the surface changed.

There is 1 coat of epoxy to seal it. 1 application of high build primer (3 coats), sealed with epoxy and sprayed. Finish you see was out of the gun no buffing.

As to your original question. The pic you showed is maybe 1-2hrs for metal work. You would have hard time metal finishing beyond what was pictured because you would be raising the surface to meet the bondo creating a high spot. You have access to both sides I assume. If this were a gas filler on the side of a flat panel with no back access then that's a different story.

I believe the no filler thing to be myth. I believe most cars going into body shops are getting a skim of filler of some kind. There is a shop close to me and he claims no filler but it's simply not true. He spot skims and then will spray poly a car 2,3,4× then high build it 2+ times. In my mind that's not exactly no filler. My spray poly gun can probably layer on 1/8" per application if I want it to so 4 applications might fill 3/8" imperfections. Spray poly is nothing but spraying bondo.

Sorry about the long winded response. Not sure how to get the pics to post so you will have to click attachments.

Attachment 56340

Attachment 56341

Attachment 56342

Attachment 56343

Attachment 56344

Attachment 56345

Attachment 56346

Attachment 56347
Paragraphs 3 and 5 seem to contradict one another if I am reading them right. If you are presenting an example of bondo free work, can you please say what the price difference is in doing it that way and with filler after some straightening? Thanks.
Old 05-05-2020, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Buchtenkirch View Post
Some people that claim they don’t use Bondo, finish their metal work to a very high standard and then they or their painter use several coats of high build primers to reach perfection. Patching or straightening parts that will be chrome plated requires almost perfect metal finishing skills especially now that cyanide copper plating is being outlawed in many areas. Also I can’t mig weld any parts I repair for my plater, the welds are too hard and polish out high compared to the surrounding metal. Personally, I don’t enjoy preparing parts for plating, the work is too tedious and time consuming . ~ John Buchtenkirch
More support for my myth theory. Thanks. I am getting used to anti-MIG sentiments. Its not for everything but for me it is. Preparation for plating is beyond my skill level.
Old 05-05-2020, 04:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivejunk View Post

Just like TIG and torch, and going to faraway meets, etc. Rich people stuff I'll never see.
That's a rather snide comment, don't you think? What's with the attitude?

And since when is an Oxy/Acetylene torch(!!!) "rich people stuff"?
Old 05-05-2020, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivejunk View Post

Matt,

Some of us have spent decades working in the field and acquiring tools. I spend 7 days a week working from 6ish AM to 8pm. My weekends are going home at 6pm instead of 8pm. I'm lucky to clear my bills at the end of the week. Rich LOL. How many hrs lid you work for free trying to improve your skills? Not on your own stuff at home, staying late metal finishing out a patch because even though you could skim it quick you know it could be better and doing it off the clock to see if it could be done? You don't have to answer. I wont bother to read it anyway.

I hear that for the small investment of an overnight stay at a Holiday Inn you can be the best metal shaper ever. Perhaps you should change your attitude. I look on this site and others and see masters of metal shaping. I work hard and try and every day to be better than the day before. I am probably too old at 50 to attain the level of craftsmanship possessed by someone like Peter Tomasini (hope I got the spelling right Peter) and the other masters of metal shaping on this site. That will not stop me from trying.

That machine I was lucky enough to get at auction $1000 delivered. I then sold a smaller nibbler to pay for it. If that machine had bid over $1000 I would not own it today. Now I have to figure out how to use it and make tooling in addition to my other duties as a 1 man show which I won't get paid to do. It's an investment in my future.

As to your comment about the work on the Henry, sure it looks good but not Pebble beach show good. Street driven better than most shops good yes. I also have no illusions there will be some light filler work on the panels. Yes the car will have filler on it. But filler will be used to smooth out small imperfections not create surfaces

Thanks for the reminder of why I seldom post on here. Rant over.

Sorry moderators. Feel free to delete if you feel it's in appropriate.
Old 05-05-2020, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Hamilton View Post
That's a rather snide comment, don't you think? What's with the attitude?

And since when is an Oxy/Acetylene torch(!!!) "rich people stuff"?

Just how my mind works, I have issues. No one seems to be able to grasp the scale difference between myself and the crowd. Well equipped and advanced shapers seem to make most of the content and I just can't grasp how anyone could pay for any of this stuff by doing automotive metal work.

I don't know "since when". Never owned a welder or a torch. I do work at work and don't control purchases. I use whats there and thats whats available to me.

Theres two sides to everything. I wondered if striving toward the ability to offer fill free work is the path toward career advancement. I asked. I am convinced it is not, based on the responses. I concluded the thread once but it didn't die. It may now.
Old 05-05-2020, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinister Sleds View Post
Matt,

Some of us have spent decades working in the field and acquiring tools. I spend 7 days a week working from 6ish AM to 8pm. My weekends are going home at 6pm instead of 8pm. I'm lucky to clear my bills at the end of the week. Rich LOL. How many hrs lid you work for free trying to improve your skills? Not on your own stuff at home, staying late metal finishing out a patch because even though you could skim it quick you know it could be better and doing it off the clock to see if it could be done? You don't have to answer. I wont bother to read it anyway.

I hear that for the small investment of an overnight stay at a Holiday Inn you can be the best metal shaper ever. Perhaps you should change your attitude. I look on this site and others and see masters of metal shaping. I work hard and try and every day to be better than the day before. I am probably too old at 50 to attain the level of craftsmanship possessed by someone like Peter Tomasini (hope I got the spelling right Peter) and the other masters of metal shaping on this site. That will not stop me from trying.

That machine I was lucky enough to get at auction $1000 delivered. I then sold a smaller nibbler to pay for it. If that machine had bid over $1000 I would not own it today. Now I have to figure out how to use it and make tooling in addition to my other duties as a 1 man show which I won't get paid to do. It's an investment in my future.

As to your comment about the work on the Henry, sure it looks good but not Pebble beach show good. Street driven better than most shops good yes. I also have no illusions there will be some light filler work on the panels. Yes the car will have filler on it. But filler will be used to smooth out small imperfections not create surfaces

Thanks for the reminder of why I seldom post on here. Rant over.

Sorry moderators. Feel free to delete if you feel it's in appropriate.
I don't have a key, can't stay late. Don't own a business like most of you seem to. I thought the Henry was primed and painted blue, done. I did not comment on the work on it, re-read. I just want to know the price difference between any job done with or without bondo. My motivation is not to be a good shaper in particular, it is a small part of my job. I have earned a living twenty years fixing cars and am just a bodyman encountering rapidly increasing difficulty of projects. Thanks for your efforts in my education and be sure not to read this.
Old 05-05-2020, 06:50 AM

I agree with Jay. This thread belongs in the wastebasket. Won't hurt my feelings either way but as far as I am concerned it has run it's course and is of little potential future value. Ban me if you'd rather I didn't post. I have nothing of value to contribute and am tired of defending myself.