All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 02-14-2017, 11:09 AM

Default make your P hammer portable

Whem my sonwas working on the 22 dodge lakester He hung the hammer on the big gantry crane and teeter tottered it with weight lifting irons to balance it

planish crane.jpg

Last edited by Steve Hamilton; 02-15-2017 at 08:47 AM.
Old 02-14-2017, 12:23 PM
MetalShaper of the Month August '15 Jan '17 Dec'17 Aug'19

apples to oranges.. the more other equipment i have, the more the bead roller collects dust. I rely on my shopdog for most beading, tipping, flanging, shrinking tasks, and clean it up with my planisher.

not many panels on a car have bodylines that match up with off the shelf bead roller dies.

If you want the instant wow factor on floors and such i suppose a bead roller is win, but if you are into accurate panel work, you wouldn't use it much.
Old 02-14-2017, 01:04 PM
MetalShaper of the Month January 2020, March 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by toreadorxlt View Post
apples to oranges.. the more other equipment i have, the more the bead roller collects dust. I rely on my shopdog for most beading, tipping, flanging, shrinking tasks, and clean it up with my planisher.

not many panels on a car have bodylines that match up with off the shelf bead roller dies.

If you want the instant wow factor on floors and such i suppose a bead roller is win, but if you are into accurate panel work, you wouldn't use it much.
I'm interested in opinions like this, since I have very little related equipment and even less available space so am choosing carefully. I watched Peter very simply tip parts on one of his cast iron wheels, which makes good use of space I have. A lathe, if not a mill as well, seem necessary to make a bead roller (and many other machines) economical and versatile enough to fit a project instead of dictating it.
Old 02-14-2017, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toreadorxlt View Post

While my experience level is much less than yours, I have to agree. Built my own recip machine after I saw how versatile they are. Tooling can be made very easily without a mill and lathe. I have a cheap bead roller(Woodward Fab) with the stock dies and a pexto copy with a tipping wheel.

Made these test panels in the first hour after getting the machine running. The offset tooling was made with hardwood, Aluminum cut on the band-saw for the body line.

20160814_193840-resized-640.jpg

20160818_195442-resized-640.jpg

20160818_194759-resized-640.jpg

Last edited by lots2learn; 02-14-2017 at 08:03 PM.
Old 03-05-2017, 07:21 PM

So when it comes to recip hammers, that seems like a good idea. Maybe ill just splurge on a dake. Do any of you have the dake model? I've heard debate between Dake and pullmax. can anyone lend an experienced word or two?

The axe is only sharpened when its on the grindstone.
Old 03-18-2017, 09:11 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Feb. 2010

Dake Reciprocating machines are very well built. I have had 2 of them when the were called Anoka.
Nice size for a small shop and easy to build tooling for them. It is just as easy to build tooling for a pullmax.
Old 03-27-2017, 11:35 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Novenber 2011, March 2017

A dake is basically a smaller throat version of a pullmax.... I will say after having it is rarely use the beadroller.

Mettelka Craft Metalshaping

Wanted, 41 Cadillac Fleetwood