All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 03-23-2023, 07:47 AM
MetalShaper of the Month January 2020, March 2022

I’m a novice but that makes me think about an oil pan that I salvaged with some success. I did it as explained in that old “Key to Bumping” book. Working from where the metal is now, do like Chris, David and Marcus said- slowly work the metal back into shape from the most recent damage to the oldest/original damage wherever you can. After that is done, you may need to shrink metal. But until then, go slow & carefully to smooth what you can (resolve displacement) without any stretching.

Figuring out the order of what to address first is the tough part, because going in the wrong order will lock damage in place. There’s probably some of that lock already there, created by previous attempts to repair it. You can still smooth much of the rest, which may help unlock some of the previous damage/repair issues.

Once you understand what damage caused what damage, it’s a lot easier to make progress. It’s a global approach, because damage in one area may be the result of damage in a different area of the panel transferring energy to the next available weakest area. Doing that smashed oil pan, my biggest issue was addressing work-hardened areas along sharp creases that cracked when I unfolded them. The rest of the small stuff came out pretty easily.

My oil pan effort was hardly show-quality work. I could have done a lot more workout & planishing to make it better but it was only an oil pan on Elsmore’s beater car….. It was still a great lesson. Link to thread- https://www.allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?t=18888
Old 03-25-2023, 05:49 AM
MetalShaper of the Month April 2020, September 2021, November 2022

Despite all the science going on here..., I don't think there's much to spoil. This is a very solid body part. Try to carefully fix what you can. At the point where it will no longer be possible, cut it open, thereby releasing the tension, and after adding material, weld again.
Think of the person who was the first to do it..... it is impossible to translate what I think..... not all who do crafts are good craftsmen.
Old 03-28-2023, 11:00 PM

Default Carter Auto Restyling

FWIW.
There's a lad has a youtube channel . He does a fender fix with similar appearing sharp crease damage. He has a good channel.

https://youtu.be/NAivF5fohMg
Old 03-29-2023, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaroslav View Post
Despite all the science going on here..., I don't think there's much to spoil. This is a very solid body part. Try to carefully fix what you can. At the point where it will no longer be possible, cut it open, thereby releasing the tension, and after adding material, weld again.
Think of the person who was the first to do it..... it is impossible to translate what I think..... not all who do crafts are good craftsmen.
Yes, I had to cut the section I could not get to the back off.
Old 03-29-2023, 11:40 AM

That is a great video. Will have to get a Bullseye pick.
Old 03-29-2023, 04:48 PM

He is very patient. Takes a hopeless looking panel and does a remarkable job.

He uses the bullseye pick a lot.
Old 04-09-2023, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans Goudzwaard View Post
He is very patient. Takes a hopeless looking panel and does a remarkable job.

He uses the bullseye pick a lot.
I am not getting anything done yet, watching a pile of his videos! Amazing to sit and watch.
Adding the Canadian maple syrup to the body filler was something. Some people thought he was serious and were upset.
Old 04-15-2023, 05:42 PM

Default Humor 8^)

He's sly all right. I like his humor.

Has a good clip on shaping strategy for the novice.

https://youtu.be/7oyXvign-TY

Keep us in mind as you start.