All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > GETTING STARTED > Introductions
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 03-02-2021, 08:00 PM

Default Hello from Australia (another aussie)

Hi,

I am Greg from Brisbane Australia. Thanks for letting me in the front door.

I have been keen on cars forever and I have been slowly picking bits of knowledge along the way. I am certainly not an expert in anything but I am always keen to have a go at new things.

I have rebuilt a 240z (since sold) and a 280zx (still owned).

I have been into grass roots motorsport for about 15 years now. Nothing too serious just a bit of fun in motorkhana, khanacross, hill climbs and sprints.
Mostly sports involving standing starts. That is where I got an interest in EVs. EVs give great acceleration off the line making them good candidates for these types of events.

So over the past 5 years I have built 2 chassis from scratch incorporating the same 8inch Dc motor and 1000amp controller. The first chassis was a FWD that weighed 550KG. The second is a mid mounted rear wheel drive weighing 450kg.

I am now moving on to metal shaping as that is a major gap in my experience so far. I have done a basic metal shaping course and I have been gathering all the tools and materials required. I am booked in for a TIG course in two weeks time.

My project is for a Porsche 550 Spyder inspired car. It will be an EV. I was hoping to make my own chassis from scratch again. But I have decided to step back from that idea because of the engineering restrictions required for registration here. In stead I am using a chassis that has already passed the certification. I will create a project thread where I will provide more details.