All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Basic questions and answers
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 10-31-2020, 08:05 PM

Default How do I make a channel with 18 ga metal?

Hello, I am trying to make support channels to help support my truck bed cross pieces. 24" long, 2" sides, 1 1/8" bottom. I don't have a break. I can figure out how to bend the first side, but doing the other side is quite the challenge. I would be thankful for some imaginative help. Thanks

Fran
Old 10-31-2020, 10:00 PM

I did something similar earlier today. I had to bend some flange on the fan housing I'm making. This is one way.

I have a solid core door I use as a table. It has nice crisp edges. Then I use strips of 3/4" plywood or hardwood cut to length as needed and clamp the sheet metal to the door edge.

It sounds like you are making a "U" channel. Cut out the piece of sheet metal to your dimensions. I would think 24" X 5 1/4". The 2 bends account for the extra measurement. Then I would measure back 2" on the top side and draw a line across. Flip the piece and then draw another line 2" back on the other end.

Lay the piece of metal so the line aligns with the edge of the door. Put the strip of wood so it aligns with the edge of the door on top of the metal. Clamp down the ends to hold everything in place. You might be able to bend the metal down a little with your hands. Then take a smooth face hammer or a plastic mallet and gently tap down on the metal so it starts to bend over. Keep going back and forth a little at a time until you get to your 90 degree position. One side is done.

Loosen the clamps and then put the other end in, clamp down and repeat the process. When you're finish you should have your channel.

Though I have a hard time picturing how you are going to attach it. I always have another bend at the top so I have a flange to attach the piece to something.

Hope my explanation makes sense.
Old 10-31-2020, 10:08 PM

No brake needed. Clamp between two pieces of 1” square stock and have at it with a hammer.
Old 11-01-2020, 07:51 AM

Bend 2 strips on the shape of a 'Z' (with 90* bends) and weld them together at the top to create your 'hat' channel. Spot welder works really good for this kind of thing.
Old 11-01-2020, 01:22 PM

Location: Shop is NO LONGER in "Asnorveldt"( the "Marsh"), Ontario, Canada
Default How do I make a channel with 18 ga

Take a straight piece of 2" X 4", have it milled down to 1"-1/8. Clamp your sheet between this and another straight 2" X 4", hammer the edge over in stages. Then use the untrimmed 2" X 4" to clamp the newly formed edge to the trimmed stud and hammer down. The problem I see is finding a "straight" 2" X 4"

Old 11-01-2020, 04:32 PM

Default How do I make a channel with 18 ga metal?

Thanks for the thoughts guys. These are the little tricks that show why this forum works. Thanks

Fran