All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Miscellaneous stuff you need to know > Announcements
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 07-06-2011, 07:25 PM

well, congrats. but i'll actually be out there to see it, ive gone the last 2 years and you're right, by the end of the day you don't remember half of what you looked at. sadly usually the biggest/"blingy-ist" thing wins.
Old 07-07-2011, 01:19 AM

Default Ken's Vase

Good for you Ken. Best of luck. That is an amazing piece of work.
Cheers, Mel
Old 07-15-2011, 11:41 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Nov. 2009

Ken .I'm am from Grand Rapids and know the event well.My brother inlaw and his brothers took home 2nd place money ($100 k) 2 years ago.I would look at the alloted space and use some form of video presentation to show the work that went into it and draw the people to it.The fed building is a great traffic location . I would set up a facebook page for your entry and tie it into the end of your video. it is a great event.We need to meet up when you get to town. Pm me when you can.Bob
Old 07-22-2011, 07:37 PM

Hey Ken,

Congrats on the vase. Your trying to figure a way for people to see inside it when it's on display. How about a mini spy cam in the bottom.
You could have the image displayed on a screen beside it. Just a thought.
Tom
Old 07-24-2011, 01:12 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Aug. '09 & Mar. '11 Rest In Peace Ken 1960-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP&C View Post
Congrats Ken, a well deserved honor. I have one of those desktop picture albums that scrolls through jpeg pictures that are saved to it. Might I suggest a similar device to use on your display for a slideshow documenting all the hard work that went into the vase:

Thanks for suggesting this Robert, I really like that idea, and I've pretty much incorporated it into my display plans. Those units will be really easy for the venue to deal with too, all they'll have to do is turn them off at night and back on in the morning.
Stay tuned!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty1295 View Post
Could the vase be on a rotary table but be tipped such that as it rotated the viewer would be able to get a glimpse inside. I light inside would be help if you could somehow get a wire in there without drilling a hole obvously.
I gave that some thought a while back, but aside from the complexity of building a tilting mechanism, keeping the vase running true to center on it might become a bit of a problem. I considered using an adhesive to attach it to the rotating turntable so it could lean over a bit, but the thought of the vase falling off half way through a show 500 miles away from here kind of chilled me to that idea.

Has anybody seen that key I left in the chuck?
See Ken's Metalshaping Gallery at:
http://home.cogeco.ca/~kenb2/index.html
Website updated June 2011

Last edited by kenb; 07-24-2011 at 01:21 AM.
Old 07-24-2011, 01:47 AM

Hi guys,

I've been getting to work on my display plans, and I'd better keep moving, as I've only got six weeks left to get this ready!

So, to get started, I drew up a 3-d vase to appoximate shape and scale....

Once I had I size reference, I went to work on a display prototype. The picture below is just a basic concept, as I still have to discuss the display arrangements with the venue host, such as whether it will be a pedestal display, or up against a wall. Once I know what the potential viewing angles will be, I can decide on what it will really look like.

I liked Roberts suggestion about the programmable picture viewers, so I set it up so one or more of them can be inserted in square holes around the base.

To get the viewers inside the vessel, I'm thinking about mounting a mirror above the top throat set at the appropriate angle. An LED light could be concealed on the back side of this mirror, pointing downwards to provide the light required to see the inside.

While I was mulling over how to support the mirror, it suddenly crossed my mind that I could incorporate a profile guage into the picture at the same time. The curved grey line (spline) will actually be a shaped piece of 3/8" or so tubing colored to match the base, and will conceal the wires that provide power to the light behind the mirror.

There's also one of Roberts picture viewers added to this picture too! I think I'll darken the color somewhat on the base, to dumb it down a little to keep the viewers eyes on the vase.

So, whatcha think?

Last edited by kenb; 07-24-2011 at 02:27 AM.
Old 07-24-2011, 02:07 AM

Default turntable drive

Hi guys,

I've been looking for a drive unit for the turntable, and I'm hoping that one of you might be familiar with a common application for one of these units. This one is perfect, it runs on 120 volts and has a final drive speed of 12 RPM, but the place I got the picture from won't sell me less than 10,000 of them.

I need something that runs on 120 volts, and will run reliably for 16 hours a day for 19 days. I'm looking for an output speed of roughly 12 RPM or so, but I can be flexible on this point, as I plan on using a rubber belt to provide the final drive and can make the pulleys any size I want.

These things are everywhere, in coffeemakers, can openers, breadmakers, all kinds of things. I don't need one too powerful or anything, and quieter is better too I suppose. Anyone know of a good source or a part number for a similar drive unit that will spin a vase around for three weeks? For reference, the vase weighs about the same as a full can of pop.

Last edited by kenb; 07-24-2011 at 02:30 AM.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:41 AM

That reminds me of the turntable motor I recently replaced in our microwave. Check here. This is our source for the replacement part.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:58 AM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

A few thoughts come to mind Ken:

1- I'd definitely talk to the venue first. They may or may not have the ability or desire to have a electric display. The type of venue might drive how you want to make the stand and how secure you need it to be.

2- Whatever you do for the turntable, it needs to be a 100% duty cycle and dead nuts reliable. As you said, being 500 miles away won't be conducive to making trips to repair it...if they even tell you it quit working. Perhaps a old turntable motor (think vinyl records)

3- I'd make the turntable as small as the base so no one will be tempted to put anything on it. I don't know what your venue is but from what I read, many of them are restaurants or bars. I can see folks putting drink glasses or kids playing with them. I doubt they will have 'security' watching the displays.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:05 AM

Hi Kerry,

My venue has hydro available, so power won't be a problem. Keeping curious hands away is the issue I'm working on now, and I'm hoping I'll be able to use a large enough base to help keep them back a bit.

As for the drive motor, I agree about the 100% duty cycle required. 19 days is quite a while, so I'll need something designed to run full time to avoid overheating.

Fortunately, I managed to score a spot in an art gallery at the last minute, so my security worries have been taken care of somewhat. I was pretty much holding out for a place like this, and I would have walked away from entering the contest if I couldn't land a spot in a gallery or a museum.
I'm sure that the bars and pubs acting as venues will be keeping an eye on the entries, but the mere thought of some guy chug-a-lugging draft beer out of my vase at three in the morning encouraged me to avoid places like that!

Last edited by kenb; 07-24-2011 at 11:31 AM.