All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 10-18-2016, 03:02 AM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2015, March 2020,, June 2022,Aug 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobD View Post
You have made this old girl an art object. I drove them back in late 60's and early 70's trying to decide which I wanted. I got one up to a muddy trail and found out why they weren't that popular. A CJ front end and a wagon rear end at least that is what I was told. I got to the top and turned around and looked back down the trail and had 4 ruts coming up the hill. This has been a great thread to watch and you are an artist.
Front the same as the wagon but the rear axle was a strange beast and nothing like anything in the Jeep range at the time. A Timken or later a Dana 53 axle which had a 63" track compare to the front of 57". The rear axle was that wide so a standard plywood sheet could be laid down between the wheel wells.
They rode pretty bad too!
http://willyshotrod.com

Invention is a combination of brains and materials.
The more brains you use, the less materials you need.
Old 10-25-2016, 08:29 AM

Marcus, I just got thru your build thread, and I'm beyond impressed! I've just joined the site recently, after meeting Peter T and Mike M at a metalmeet in Oblong, Illinois. There is so much to learn, and so little time!

Thank you so much for taking the time to post pictures and explain the steps you've taken to bring your project along. I also really admire how frugal you are in using salvaged pieces for your parts (and tools) where possible. Keep up the fantastic work and details!

"Details are but trifles, but details make for perfection, and perfection is no trifle" ~Ben Franklin

The nickel and penny aren't worth much anymore, but the dime makes a good screwdriver
Old 10-26-2016, 05:23 AM

Many thanks Dale. You will gain a lot from this site as there are so many willing to share their knowledge and help anyone out. I have learned a lot since being here and from the metal meets too.

Old 10-29-2016, 01:58 AM
MetalShaper of the Month August '14

Got to say every time I get time to look back through your build Marcus I am always so impressed.

Jim
Old 10-29-2016, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozi jim View Post
Got to say every time I get time to look back through your build Marcus I am always so impressed.

Jim
Many thanks Jim. I'm surprised myself when I get a chance to look back through it. Sometimes you feel like you are getting nowhere, until you see how far you have come!

Old 11-05-2016, 07:07 AM

Back from holidays and been hard at it again, but not a lot to show. A lot of finessing which takes time, but not photo worthy.

After welding the other A pillar in place, I noticed that the top of the door frame didn't aline perfectly and was nearly 3mm-1/8" out. I didn't want to move the A pillar, as that matched exactly the other one, so with a ratchet strap, pulled the window frame back.

Now to finally have both sides of the windscreen frame meet. As the body is 220mm-9" wider, you can see the difference in the width of panel as the front has a slight curve to it, but the seam that the glass sits in is perfectly straight and must remain so. A slot was cut along the bottom, and the spot welds drilled out at the top, to pull the panel forward to match.

So boths sides were modified, so the seam that the glass gasket sits in, stayed dead straight.

You don't even notice the curve as it is so subtle, but it had to be taken into account.

Now for the last piece to go in. This proved to be quite a bit of work with lot of profile and lengths checked left to right to get them the same. The factory pressing weren't to start with, so that made it harder.

Was a lot of hours spent making sure that the seam the glass gasket sits in remained perfectly straight, and the angle compared to the top did not change at all either so there was no twist. I used a digital angle finder and got it to within 1/10 of a degree from one side to the other.

I also made sure the height of the window did not change over its entire length either. It still has the center higher to match the rise in the rear wall as well, just to complicate things further.

Getting a bit of an idea now on the windscreen height compared to the door windows. They match now, but remember I have shortened the door windows by 50mm-2" in the roof chop, but lowered the whole windscreen frame down without chopping it. I sectioned out below the frame instead, right across the cowl from one side to the other. I prefer the proportions now this way as the factory windscreen height was already lower to start with.

Last edited by Gojeep; 08-13-2017 at 02:40 PM.
Old 11-05-2016, 07:31 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan 2019

Your detailing is obvious in quality of your work. I LOVE the shop!
Old 11-05-2016, 07:39 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Oct 2016, June 2020, April 2023

Beautiful work and I love the whole concept!
Old 11-05-2016, 08:38 AM
ADMINISTRATOR MetalShaper of the Month Dec. '09 & May '11

WOW. What a milestone!

Thanks for keeping us up to date.

Workmanship is top shelf.

Steve
Old 11-05-2016, 07:58 PM

Default Had to

Marcus,
I had to show my wife this thread, her father and her grandfather worked in the Willys plant, her grandfather retired from there and her father worked there for 13 years. He was driving a tug in the plant and the brakes failed and he went down an elevator shaft and lived through it. I know that he would have flipped over what you have done. Yes your shop is just as impressive as the build!