All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Automotive Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 09-07-2020, 05:19 AM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2015, March 2020,, June 2022,Aug 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargoman View Post
Will you be providing any form of handhold/recess to let you pull the door shut?

They look good.
Yes mate. Just waiting for them to arrive. You know how anything posted takes 4 times as long now.
http://willyshotrod.com

Invention is a combination of brains and materials.
The more brains you use, the less materials you need.
Old 09-07-2020, 09:45 AM

Default Arm rests

A side point, I hope you don't mind. In the unlikely event of a side collision, I'd rather have the armrests less rigid. They will hurt or worse if they reach ribs. What are your thoughts? Kind regards Ron
Old 09-08-2020, 05:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastus View Post
A side point, I hope you don't mind. In the unlikely event of a side collision, I'd rather have the armrests less rigid. They will hurt or worse if they reach ribs. What are your thoughts? Kind regards Ron
That is a good point but where do you draw the line? If it was low slung hotrod or custom, be a worse situation for sure. More flat area to the sides still to be added as well as padding.
But don't forget that the whole armrest is above your legs and only the last rounded part is next to your side. That part is protected by a thickly padded bolster in the side of the seat.

Last edited by Gojeep; 09-09-2020 at 05:46 AM.
Old 09-14-2020, 08:55 AM

Default Arm rests

True, balancing design, function.... ect is tricky. Above a 50kmh collision in the 5 star rating equates to how bad the injuries are not whether a dumby has one. A low slung rod, I read between the lines and it's not pretty!
Old 09-29-2020, 05:42 AM

Sorry but posting is going to be all over the place, or nothing at all for a while. I have to keep changing from one thing to another while waiting for parcels to arrive due to the lock down still on in my state. Longest running in the world now!

Anyway, rather than waiting until I can show completing things in a logical order, I can post as little thing get done in the meantime.

I ran into a problem when I tried the new H4 LED headlights for the first time. They would not change from low to high after converting from the donor twin bulb setup. Fortunately help from good friend at Jeep R Us, Richard Curly, suggested to try a CANBUS Error Cancelation Module, preferably one that works with Jeeps PWM, Pulse Width Modulation, system. I found these from STEDI and it fixed the problem completely. https://www.stedi.com.au/h4-canbus-c...onversion.html I have mounted them to the radiator support as these do generate heat.

I wired the DRL, Day Time Running Lights, as my parkers as only use them while driving at dusk, dawn and foggy conditions. Before adding the module they would strobe once turned on, but for some reason that got fixed as well which is a bonus.

The NARVA inserts use a LED projector for low beam. Notice also that my LED indicators are also glowing dimly which they shouldn't. Adding a 6 Ohm load resistor fixed that.

When on high beam the low beams remain on as well. The lights give a very clean cut off so wont blind oncoming drivers.

Testing here the best position to mount my new chrome windscreen washers. I decided to order two twin squirters to give good coverage to the split windscreen.

Was able to save having them in the bonnet and the hoses will run under the dash instead. The exact centre of each windscreen half put it inline with the hinge. These are are good quality as machined from solid brass and are Lucas style as fitted to many early English cars.

Also got some chrome plated cast steel wiper bezels. These seal against the cowl completely leak free, unlike the last set I tried made from a soft rubber. These suit early Minis, Triumph Spitfire & GT6 and MGB's. These and the wiper washes were bought from Classic Bits on eBay. https://www.ebay.com.au/str/Classic-...p2047675.l2563

I scored in that the bezel kept the wiper wheel box at the correct angle which is parallel to the glass angle. Otherwise the wipers will not run smoothly as the pressure will change throughout the sweep if not matched.

Just got my Defender LED upgrade pack in. I found there were three main versions of these and I chose the NSLUMO brand, although the box says Vinstar, as they had more obvious beehive rings which looked more period and made the LED's less visible. They have the E and SAE codes on the lenses. Can get them on Amazon or eBay. The other two popular brands are WIPAC and RDX.

I also imported from the UK some chrome plated brass rings for the more old school look. Bought from Parts for Classic Land Rovers. https://www.ebay.com.au/str/classic-...p2047675.l2563

Probably still prefer the chrome ring around the 39 Chevy LED's, but couldn't get matching reversing lights, only stop/tail for the rear set. If anybody in Australia wants the Chevy LED's, will sell them for $70 AUD which is below what it cost me to land them here.

The LR upgrade pack came with a LED flasher relay, but the donor Jeep does not run one and uses the Front Control Module to control them. The lights would glow as soon as the computer became active and then would be dim and hyper flash when turned on. I fitted a 50w 6 Ohm load resistor between the positive and negative wires. 4 in total just for the indicators/turn signals as the circuit is split left to right and front to rear. So one for each corner of the vehicle, but didn't need extra for the side ones.

Got a nice classic look to them but with the modern twist I am after.

So front lights now all working and finished. I also got the final two chrome parking sensors for the bumper as well.

Old 09-29-2020, 09:10 AM

One more beautiful step towards the finish line! Looks great!
Old 09-30-2020, 07:16 AM
MetalShaper of the Month October 2020

Very nice!
Old 10-15-2020, 11:28 PM

Sometimes I still wonder if the grille is too plain?

Grille looks better front on though.

Trying a single stock grille bar on as really think the Jeep signature look is seeing the ends of the slots.

Looks a bit funny being it is now too short with the wider grille, even thought it matches the bonnet emblem.

Just tacked on ends from another grille bar to make it full length across the grille like it was stock.

Still looks alright from the front. Better than no bars?

Old 10-16-2020, 06:16 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec. 2019, Feb. 2022

Sorry, I feel the grill was perfect before the cross bar was added.

my project:
http://www.allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?t=154
Old 10-16-2020, 07:55 AM
ADMINISTRATOR MetalShaper of the Month Dec. '09 & May '11

Sorry but I have to agree with Pugsy!

That cross bar stands out like a sore thumb.

Jeeps back then were plain and simple it does not need the cross bar.

Just my opinion......... your car do what you like!

Steve