All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Stuff For Sale > Heads Up Announcements
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 09-23-2015, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjc View Post
Sold mine to Jim Hery on this forum for what I paid for it from Nawrocki Fab. Too bad people have to make a profit on everything these days.
Ken, I wish I could find someone here who would sell me a copy for the original price. You are a good man.

Unfortunately in this case, I believe it an example of supply and demand. There currently is no supply, so it demanded the price it did.

I would venture to guess that if those bidding knew a second printing was on it's way, the final bid would have been much closer to the price of that second printing, possibly with the exception of some folks (collectors?) that would pay appropriately for a "First Edition"
Old 09-23-2015, 03:20 PM

Default Copyright Infringement?

I was lucky enough to get a copy from Cass and was thinking that perhaps like other historical reference books that are out of print, Cass could licence the printing of individual books on demand as there are outlets everywhere now.

But looking around the web tonight I came across this site run by a woman in Malmo, Sweden ( http://www.oakleafbooks.se/index.php...formation_id=4 )which is a bit worrying as I doubt Cass sees any money from this unless he's licensed a deal? Perhaps you guys who have contact with him could ask.

Given the dispatch time, on trade paper and " Available (On Demand)" it would seem she is printing them as ordered from a digital copy unless I've misunderstood and she has physical copies from the first print.

If not , then I don't like seeing anyone raking in money off of Cass's hard won skills and effort .

Phil

Last edited by Phil Minton; 09-23-2015 at 06:47 PM.
Old 09-23-2015, 07:01 PM

Default Copyright violation!

Thank you, Phil, for alerting me about copyright violation! I am working on the 2nd edition of my book "Any impossibility in shaping metal". It should be available to readers as soon as possible, I am adding more chapters.

Susan Eklow is engaged in piracy. No permission was given to her to copy and sell the book.

US Copyright law provided a punishment :

If willful infringement for commercial advantage and private financial gain is proved, fines of up to $100,000 and/or two years’ imprisonment, or both. (as of March 1, 1989).
Old 09-24-2015, 05:23 AM

Cass,

Glad to be of help and I look forward to seeing the completed 2nd Edition. Let's hope a shot across her bows will deter her from doing it again.

The bad news is that it just occurred to me while writing this reply to check something else and unfortunately you are not alone Cass, Bill Longyard's English Wheel book is also advertised.

Regards

Phil
Old 09-24-2015, 10:35 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Feb 2015

This company has a Facebook page. Might be interesting to contact them publicly about this issue.

https://www.facebook.com/Oakleaf-Boo...1070/timeline/

Don't believe everything you think.
Old 09-24-2015, 03:42 PM

[QUOTE=Phil The bad news is that it just occurred to me while writing this reply to check something else and unfortunately you are not alone Cass, Bill Longyard's English Wheel book is also advertised. Phil[/QUOTE]

....and his new book "Power Hammers" !!!

http://www.oakleafbooks.se/index.php...ct_id=19604880
Old 09-24-2015, 04:37 PM

Apparently a quite sloppy operation. Here are comments from the Facebook page:

Where is my book????? You are constantly ignoring me!! You took my money and haven't sent the book that makes you nothing more than a thief! Whay an appalling business you run!!!!!!

You are ILLEGALLY stating to sell a book by me for which I'm sure you have no content because it has not been released. Request immediate removal from ALL of your sources.

Rosie Hurst Yes word may be spreading but your delivery time is appalling. The lack of communication with estimated delivery times is a common courtesy you are lacking and ignoring emails is just plain rude.
September 4 at 9:12am ·

Steve Dyson
Steve Dyson I have to agree I have been waiting over a month for delivery and have had no reply to my complaint.
Old 09-24-2015, 04:40 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Feb 2015

Several of Bills books are offered. I'm wondering if the original publishers of these books made the books available for re-print. Maybe a clause buried somewhere in the small print of the contract.

Don't believe everything you think.
Old 09-25-2015, 12:18 PM
MetalShaper of the Month November 2021

Without seeing the dust jacket I'm guessing she has a book that I own the copyright on. I see a few others that some of my friends have written on the list. I am contacting those folks as we speak.

Thanks,

Keith
Old 09-25-2015, 01:59 PM

After looking more at the website and facebook; it appears this company is just a reseller od books in print. They dont seem to have any stock. Their terms and conditions indicate the books will be shipped by the publishers. They sate delivery problems are the responsibility of the shipper, not themselves. Probably nothing illegal being a retailer and having product drop shipped. Amazon and Barnes and Noble do the same thing if they don't have it on the shelf, they order from the supplier.

Update....I sent Oakleaf a message and asked "Some of the books you list are recent publications under current copyright protection. How can you sell those copies?"
They answered "I source them from distributors or authors after an order. Sir, Are you an author?"
It appears they are just a book dealer with no stock.

Last edited by Richard K; 09-25-2015 at 05:09 PM.