All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Resources > Resources - Learning Material
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Closed Thread

Old 01-31-2011, 12:35 AM

Default Discussion

I've read the books, and several of the chapters twice. I find the Roll a Ball very interesting - not in that I'd want to use one, but for what it might teach us about wheeling machines. It just seems there might be something there -

Thinking out loud here -

The Roll a Ball would form into a concave dish (however I did see that flat and convex surfaces were also used). What I'm wondering is what affect (either advantage or disadvantage) could be gained by mimicking this design on a wheeling machine. In other words, what would happen if we made the top wheel concave?

I'm only talking a small amount of concavity in the top wheel, not enough to match the lower anvil. Likely, contact flats, true radius, what happens when you want two flats against each other, are all aspects to be considered.

Perhaps I'm seeing smoke where there is no fire. And for those of you without the books, talking about an unknown machine used in the past. It's just something there sparked my interest.

John
Old 03-02-2011, 12:47 AM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

When I got the first two issues I did a quick scan and left to go out of town. This week, I sat down and read the first book cover to cover. WOW! There is some GOOD stuff in there!
Old 03-02-2011, 08:15 AM

Tim Barton did an incredible job in putting together this series of books!

The first pages of book one are a dedication of the books to his father, who has passed on. I'd guess Tim grew up in a time period similar to myself; I am 65 and from rural industrial america. The stories he relates about learning from his father are precious.

The books start out great and just get better. As a sort of research hound myself, I am surprised at the information and photos he was able to put together for our enjoyment. If you have ever had any interest in metalshaping; these books should be on your "must have" list.
Old 03-03-2011, 01:01 AM

I spoke with Tim last week, I think he said #3 will be done mid March.

Those who possess real knowledge are rare.

Those who can set that knowledge into motion in the physical world are rarer still.

The few who possess real knowledge and can set it into motion of their own hands are the rarest of all.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:28 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October 2012

Any updates on when we can expect any of Timís books that are coming out after the initial volumes #1 and #2 ? ~ John Buchtenkirch
Old 03-24-2011, 04:42 PM

I'm now hearing "two weeks"... so 1st or 2nd week of April

That's for #3, not sure if #4 will be available the same time

Those who possess real knowledge are rare.

Those who can set that knowledge into motion in the physical world are rarer still.

The few who possess real knowledge and can set it into motion of their own hands are the rarest of all.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:26 PM
Administrator

I talked to Tim today, he said the first shipment of Book 3 was boxed and shipped on Monday of this week. The second shipment of Book 3 would go out on Thursday of next week. Book 4 will start to be shipped about 3 weeks after Book 3 shipments are complete. That is the latest that I have.

There is more than one way to go to town and they are all correct.
Old 03-24-2011, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkill View Post
I've read the books, and several of the chapters twice. I find the Roll a Ball very interesting - not in that I'd want to use one, but for what it might teach us about wheeling machines. It just seems there might be something there -

Thinking out loud here -

The Roll a Ball would form into a concave dish (however I did see that flat and convex surfaces were also used). What I'm wondering is what affect (either advantage or disadvantage) could be gained by mimicking this design on a wheeling machine. In other words, what would happen if we made the top wheel concave?

I'm only talking a small amount of concavity in the top wheel, not enough to match the lower anvil. Likely, contact flats, true radius, what happens when you want two flats against each other, are all aspects to be considered.

Perhaps I'm seeing smoke where there is no fire. And for those of you without the books, talking about an unknown machine used in the past. It's just something there sparked my interest.

John
top wheel concave ,would that be hollow or the same as the lower(cant find the word for it)

i think the only thing you will get is more or less flat contact it can speed up the process but it depends on the pressure your frame can handle
it also would be a good thing to eliminate wheeling marks,but again you will need a very stiff frame otherwise it would only be a disadvantage
Old 03-24-2011, 08:00 PM

I got a shipping notice a few days ago and the package is now in Jacksonville, FL after a two day trip across the US. It should be here by Saturday. I'm not sure if it's only Book #3 or #3 & #4.
Old 03-24-2011, 08:02 PM
Administrator

Bill, it is only book 3. Book 4 will be shipped in about 3 weeks.

There is more than one way to go to town and they are all correct.
Closed Thread