All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Buck Building
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-07-2019, 02:29 PM

Default What style of buck do you prefer?

I have no actual shaping experience but have spent a few years studying, reading, and watching videos on metal shaping. I know this is not a substitute but it is better than nothing. Unfortunately my life at this particular moment is very hectic. Overtime at work, I take care of our two kids before work, and my wife came from a broken home (so 3x the family functions of my family).

I want to build a replica of the 1933 1.5 ton dodge truck that I have. I want to do things like increase the scale of it. Build a crew cab version of the cab. Delete some of the style line l, and build a grill shell that resembles the 1933 car and pickup grill shell.

My original plan was to build foam bucks to pull flexible shape patterns from. I like the idea of this for the amount of information it will give me. However I dislike the amount of time and work this will require. Time is very valuable commodity right now. Looking at some of Wray's videos on YouTube I like the idea of wire form bucks. It looks like I could tweak the shape of the crew cab until it is pleasing to the eyes and not require hours of sanding like a foam buck. Once again, however I'm worried about having enough information to make the correct shape in the panels. It looks like they help you get 75-90% there but the rest would be on you. Is that correct?