All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > General Metal Shaping Discussion > Welding Sheet Metal
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 02-12-2021, 07:18 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibbt View Post
Bob,
You were right on the money about my tips having too small a contact area. I went back to my standard pointed tips which had an estimated contact surface of about 5/32" and I ground them down to where they now have an approximate contact area of 3/8". It made all the difference in the world! Weld time is about 1/4 second. I have attached 2 photos of my test strip showing front and back. Per your instructions I did a test to see if I could tear the weld apart and I couldn't. I think with a little more fine tuning I can make them even better. In the end, this will all be worth it because being able to spot weld this part together instead of using a hollow eyelet will be fewer steps and less labor and is also stronger.

I will have to say that setting this up is more tedious than I expected. Getting a really nice, symmetrical weld nugget or "spot" isn't easy on this thin material. I think I'm used to seeing spot welds on high production items that are done with sophisticated/automated spot welding equipment. In the photos, there are 3 welds near the left edge that were my final welds. The one on the far right edge was my first one that I tried to tear apart. Please take a look at my latest attempt and tell me what you think.

Thanks,
Bibb in San Antonio

,Attachment 58775

Attachment 58776

Getting better.

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.