View Single Post
Old 01-31-2021, 11:51 AM

Default Resistance welding 430 stainless ?

Besides my introduction post, this is my first real post on this forum. Lot's of experts here so hopefully someone can give me some advice. I have searched the web and can only find scientific papers with data only a metallurgist would understand. I need real world advice from someone that welds. Thanks in advance to anyone that can help.

I have a non automotive project where I need to spot/resistance weld 2 pieces of .020 type 430 Stainless together. This is a very small part about the size of a 9 volt battery so I will probably only put 1 or 2 welds on the part. I need to weld roughly 1300 of these parts.

I have a 220v Miller spot welding machine on a stand with timer and foot pedal. I used the thing 1 time on another project years ago and its been sitting. I damn near sold it and glad I didn't.

I haven't done any testing yet but can someone chime in here that's done something similar with Type 430 and give me some tips for success ? I keep reading that some types of Stainless don't don't spot weld very good.

Thanks,
Bibb in San Antonio