View Single Post
Old 12-18-2020, 11:16 AM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by idickers View Post
I apologize if this is not exactly a sheet metal question, but I didn't know where to post. I need to make a repair on a cast iron engine block on a running engine, and am looking for ways to repair without stripping the block down for welding. I started out trying to remove an easy-out that had been broken while attempting to remove a broken bolt. This is in the flange of the block that mounts to the transmission bell housing.

All foreign pieces are now removed, but in the process I removed too much material and have to fill a void that I would like to next drill and tap for a new bolt. Is there a way to use oxygen-acetylene to braze or solder in filler for this type of application? Or to backstop a time-cert?
I've welded a lot of cast iron engine stuff.
My company sells this stick-arc cast iron welding rod that is "no-peen, no-preheat" and NOT NI-rod and a pretty good DVD on cast iron welding.
Good Luck,

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.

Last edited by crystallographic; 12-18-2020 at 02:43 PM.