View Single Post
Old 06-28-2021, 10:06 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr fixit View Post
WOW Joel,

That is a piece of art, even if it is just the mockup for what's too come. Not being a big engine guy, (Morris Minor 1098 cc) what about the heat around all the engine and chassis areas. I assume you will use some type of heat wrap on the pipes, but is that going to be enough to protect everything and dissipate enough heat?

Beginner just asking to learn.

This is the most awesome build to be following.

TX
Mr fixit
Chris
Chris: heat radiated out of the pipes is a concern. I don't think the heat will hurt the chassis itself but I do plan on routing heat sensitive stuff like shift cables and wiring away from the header. I don't plan to "wrap" the headers as I've seen that be very destructive to the metal in the header. Given the cost of the parts to make these headers, I want them to last a good long time and not need replacement after a couple of years of driving. The headers will be built with 304 SS which is better than carbon steel at keeping the heat in versus radiating it out. I also plan to have them ceramic coated as an extra measure of heat retention.

I think the most effective thing to combat the effects of the heat is air flow. I'll most likely need to duct fresh air to flow across the pipes such that the heat is taken away versus building up. The nice thing about the Miura body is that what looks like a rear window is actually open louvers and a good part of the rear bodywork is a mesh that readily flows air through it. In other words, there's ample opportunity for the hot air to escape and I just need to ensure that cool air is being fed into the hot parts of the engine compartment.