View Single Post
Old 10-06-2014, 07:34 PM
MetalShaper of the Month March 2015, March 2020,, June 2022,Aug 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry Pinkerton View Post
As long as the chassis work is part of an end-to-end project that includes major metal shaping, like this will, it is fine to include it. If you were just going to describe the chassis work, we'd probably have a talk.
Excellent Kerry. Thank you for guiding me on it.

First parts of the donor Grand Cherokee are getting used!
Getting everything ready that must be done before boxing the frame rails start.

This is the engine and lower front suspension cradle sitting under the frame rail for the first time to check angles. The area where it bolts in the front was 3 degrees out. The lower flange of the rail needed to be titled down at the back to sit flat on top of the cradle.

Rather than cut and bend the flange down, I bolted in a piece of heavy angle iron the same size as the area it sits on the cradle. Then supported the back end of the frame rail and then simply stood on the end of the cradle pushing it down. This bent the lower flange down giving a nice smooth transition.

I have cut out the original mounts from the Grand Cherokee so that every thing is mounted in the exact same manner as the engineers designed it. This is the mount for the front of the engine cradle.

The threaded boss has some movement to allow fine adjustment when it bolts together. The supporting plate has been cut wider than the flanges so it will protrude through a slot cut into the boxing plate when it goes over it. It will then fully welded and ground smooth. This way it is supported on both sides like it was originally.

These are the mounts for the transmission and transfercase cross member welded in. Interesting how the engineers have the actual attachment point higher up in the frame rail rather than directly on the bottom flange. I would think this would add greater torsional rigidity, so why not utilize it

The threaded nut plate has been clicked into place and the support plate again had been made wider than the flange by the thickness of the boxing plate. It will have a slot cut in it so the support plate can be welded to it.

Also cut out of the frame of the Grand Cherokee the mounts for the rear panhard rod, or track bar, which bolts into the frame. I left part of the original frame attached to the threaded boss and welded around the perimeter. The other two large holes you can see are for the shock absorber and sway bar mounts.

You can also see here extra threaded bosses welded in case I am able to mount the fuel tank in the same position as it was in the Grand Cherokee under the cab floor next to the driveshaft. Many thanks to Dr. Lee of South Dakota for getting under his Grand Cherokee and getting the measurement I needed for that. Hadn't recorded it initially as didn't think it would be possible, but now think there is a chance and better to have them in place as cant add them later once it all is boxed

These are the mounts for the rear sway bar. They pass right through the frame rail and will be supported on the other side as well once the boxing is complete.

Sway bar mount ready to have the boxing plate laid over it and then fully welded.
http://willyshotrod.com

Invention is a combination of brains and materials.
The more brains you use, the less materials you need.

Last edited by Gojeep; 08-01-2017 at 02:30 AM.