View Single Post
Old 08-31-2009, 06:35 PM
Administrator

Default Who prefers tuck shrinking?

For those of you who know me, I decided that I preferred stump shrinking over tuck shrinking. Never the less I have practiced both methods.

Tonight when I got home, I thought hell I'm going to clean the shop (it's a mess ). Then I noticed my tucking forks were getting all rusty. So I sprayed it down and sanded the rust off. Then I noticed a piece of scrap metal,so I figured might as well get some practice in and tuck shrink the edge and snap a few photos. Really I was just trying to talk myself out of cleaning the shop

I don't tuck shrink very often and what I realized is, that it's because it's so much more work than stump shrinking.

I have to work the tucks inside out, I would prefer to work them from the outside but I just don't have a post dolly good enough for it.

quill holder 131.jpg

quill holder 132.jpg

quill holder 133.jpg

quill holder 139.jpg

quill holder 141.jpg

quill holder 142.jpg

That was one round of tuck shrinking. I could have cleaned it up but what's the point.

What I do when I tuck shrink is, I start from the rear and work my way forward. I take swift hits alternating sides to I reach the mouth of the tuck. I have tried it several different ways but this seems to work the best for me.

So what I am curious about is, who prefers tuck shrinking? Also how do you tuck shrink?

This forum is dedicated to Metal Shaping.
Please stay on topic.

Last edited by jhnarial; 08-31-2009 at 06:45 PM.