View Single Post
Old 08-12-2021, 03:17 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan 2018

Post Shifter Installation

I had chosen a shifter made by Numeric Racing for use in the Miura. The shifter is designed for use in Porsches so there were a couple of quirks with the install involved in converting metric pickup points to standard threaded cables. The shifter itself is very well made with all pivot points supported by ball bearings. Compared to the shift linkage I had just completed, the shifter install felt very easy and straight forward.

The shift lever ends with a 10mm ball on the bottom. I couldn’t find any connectors that accepted a 10mm ball that didn’t also have metric threads. I did find however that gas strut ends are made to accept a 10mm ball stud. I found some nice ones made of stainless steel that were reasonably priced on eBay. They came with a M6 thread which I drilled out and added a heli-coil to get to the ¼-28 thread for the shift cable.

The pick-up point for the side to side motion is 12mm round by 13mm wide. Starting from a ½” thick scrap of aluminum, all it took was to drill a couple of holes and tap one out to adapt this for cable hookup.

I think this shifter setup will benefit from some sort of gated arrangement but I’ll hold off in doing that until I’ve been able to take a test drive to try it out.