View Single Post
Old 03-27-2019, 12:49 PM
Administrator

Hey Cliff, hope you're doing well.

Personally, if you have the option, I'd go with a reciprocating machine build. Because the bead roller pulls metal to create it's shape, you either have to pre-stretch the area where the bead will be, or futz with the panel after you put the bead in to fix/straighten other areas of the panel due to the material pulled for the bead.

I don't do this everyday, but I generally struggle with getting the right amount of pre-stretch to keep a panel flat after the beads are in it. This, along with wanting to do some bead details on 3D shapes such as a motorcycle tanks has me wanting to build/buy a reciprocating machine. Not to mention the other advantages as being able to build shinking dies, using it to shear, etc, which you mentioned. I've also thought about building a setup for my E-wheel similar to Jaroslav shows to be able to do something similar to his pictures, but if I"m going to all that trouble, probably wouldn't be much more work to put together a small reciprocation machine.

With that said, have you considered the power hammer attachment that Peter is offering for those wheels now? I'd imagine you'd be able to come up with some beading dies similar to what Ben is doing with the Mechhammer. May be Kent might chime in.

"I've never met someone with so much tenacity in all my life." - RockHillWill

@madscientistind

Last edited by memphisrain; 03-27-2019 at 12:57 PM.