View Single Post
Old 11-20-2021, 06:54 PM

Hi Kent,
I have enjoyed your website in the past. There is some great info there. I love the article about building the Ferrari from 12 pics.

My idea about my project follows a similar philosophy where I get inspired by different photos and would like to bring the ideas together into one product. I would like to design a central “passenger compartment” portion of the frame to incorporate stronger elements in the rocker panels, a pillars, b pillars and c pillars and roof structure and then “birdcage” the rest of the chassis to provide mounting support for the skin.

I seek the advise of this forum to understand if the wooden elements can be replaced with steel tubing or formed sheet steel? This forum has some great photos of an Alfa Romeo supperlegera structure and have been inspired to go that direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystallographic View Post
You have been attracted to some classic designs.
"Superleggera" was a revolution in autobody execution, replacing timber-framing inside the bodywork with angle, channel, and small tubing. I have restored a few of the 1930's Touring bodies, Touring being the inventor of that framework.
The ladder chassis frames can be abbreviated by going to heavier front and rear x-members and going "creative" in between those first and last x members. When the modified ladder is done this way, jacking up the vehicle using either front corner will raise it with almost zero twist.

(I have done this - with a Holset-Switzer turbo on a Mopar smallblock, 1974.)
Success and joy,
I love watching, learning and being inspired by other people’s projects