View Single Post
Old 11-25-2021, 04:30 AM
MetalShaper of the Month February 2023

Ha! Yes, cargo doesn’t complain!

Rick, that’s impressive with your work on so many 507s. Yes, I’m anxious for your guidance and help on this and thank you in advance. It’s going to be a fun a frustrating project but I think the end result will be well worth it.

To answer a few more questions, the chassis will be a donor tub from a Mercedes R107 which will be modified to match up to the 507 body. Front and rear suspension will be similar to original with torsion bars, and the engine will be a small block Chevrolet with a front mounted distributor, dual 97 carbs, and a few other trim items to make it appear at first glance that it’s an original BMW V8 engine.

The goal with the donor car is to have the main convertible chassis structure with suspension and engine bay modified for the 507 body as I make it. This donor chassis gives me the jambs, top mechanism, door internals, etc. I don’t want this to be a thrown together, non-functions car. Locks, wipers, convertible top, etc…all will work properly. At least in my mind it will be!

So far I have a real windshield with gasket, tail lights, a correct Becker Mexico radio/speaker/amp, and emblems. I had a lead on a side grille but the contact disappeared so I’m left with fabricating those (along with everything else, of course) but it’s just another small project in the big project. The windshield was major since it defines the look of the car. If that’s off, everything is off!

I’ve also researched other parts I’ll need and are similar to the 507 but readily available from other makes and models since real 507 parts are, well, unobtainium.

Cheers
Dave