View Single Post
Old 10-07-2021, 01:00 AM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate S View Post
I think I’ve altogether ditched the polishing idea in favor of this. Seeing as this is my first metal shaping project I think polish would highlight some areas that I wish I could do completely over. And I like the “easily blendable” part as I hope this gets raced hard by some toddlers haha.

Just out of curiosity what does the alcohol do?? Is it just a clean lubrication? I preclean weld areas with acetone at the moment, will that work the same?

Hi Nate,
We've tried a number of "cleaning lubricants" with the aluminum surface thing, over the decades. I won't list them here ...
But..... 91% isopropyl is very ideal for our uses - and as the two PhD research chemists who have popped in have told us, " Excellent solvent, Mr. White: Clean. Cheap. Available. Non-toxic."

And for us, "the lubricity is ideal."

(psst: "chlorinated hydrocarbons," acetone being one popular type, actually create phosgene gas when wet within a high-frequency electric field (tig welding aluminum, anyone??). For those who do not know about WW1 gas attacks, thousands upon thousands of troops were gassed with "mustard gas" aka "phosgene gas" - which either killed them outright or rendered them completely helpless and permanently injured.

Acetone is not recommended near any type of electric welding, no way, no how....!!!!

--- that is all ---

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.

Last edited by crystallographic; 10-07-2021 at 01:12 AM.