View Single Post
Old 09-14-2019, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.c View Post
...Sometimes jumping from one cad- cad/cam program to another is harder if you are used to another product than if you were a complete newbie. Particularly for an old brain. ....
I hear you on the older brain. Nothing says "Mid-life crisis" like walking into a Social Security office to apply for Medicare. But I consider this brain exercise, my significant other does Sodokus and crosswords.

I learned to draft by hand on a basswood board in 1967 from a guy who drafted parts for the military for the "war to end all wars". Meanwhile my older HS classmates were being sent to the meat grinder by the thousands.. Sorry for the digression...

I was told going into SW study that it "thinks differently". I came from an older Autocad 2D background. Since 3D modeling was relatively new to me, and I was in an environment with an excellent instructor and a proven syllabus, I learned it quite comfortably. However, from what I have learned, it does "think differently" when generating a 3D model.

After my SW license timed out, I tried in vain to learn AutoDesk Fusion 360, which is a really good software with truly rave reviews. I personally was unable to make the transition from SW to the different way of thinking from the tutorials I watched. I was trying to learn at home on my computer, not in a class. I hasten to add that there are truly good tutorials out there both from Auto Desk and independents.

This was just me, your mileage may differ.

Last edited by weldtoride; 09-14-2019 at 08:46 PM.