View Single Post
Old 03-13-2021, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry Pinkerton View Post
Greg, I lost the long reply I had just typed so this one won't be.

Two types of bucks mainly, eggcrate (station bucks) and wireform. Search the site for more info.

There is a guy on Instagram/Facebook that's been around a while.

http://kitcarik.ru/

He gets data for the bodies from hacking into video games like Grand Theft Auto. While the cars look great on the screen, I'm sure they are not 100% accurate. The printer files for FULL SIZE station bucks are $100 us. You can take the file to a larger printing company and have them printed full size. You then glue them to plywood, MDF, OSB, etc, and cut them out using a reciprocating saw.

Buyer Beware!!!!!!

1 - this guy is in Russia and there are lots of hackers in Russia so take necessary precautions. Sorry for sounding like a zenophobe. I'm not but the reality is the reality. I wouldn't walk into a lions den in a meat suit or walking around south Chicago

2 - the data is not going to be 100% correct so be careful as you proceed that you don't end up with an expensive cartoon car.

3- the guy has been around at least a year and I've had email conversations with him. He's not pushy.

4- all that said, for 100 bucks, it might be a start since you're not building a true replica. I probably would if was not 15 years on my own project that needs finishing.
Thanks Kerry, it sounds good.

What I have done is a 3d scan of a scale model. Again I don't expect a model to be accurate. But it is good enough for my purpose. I have then sliced that scan into hundreds of slices. Although I'll probably only use about 40. I had planned to have them printed. But I was worried about getting the scale correct to ensure the body will fit the buck. Now I figure I will use my computer and projector to get the image either on to plywood or to match wire contour. The scans include a grid which gives a consistent scale. I just need to make sure the size of the grid is the same every time I create a station. I did a small scale mock up of the buck using paper. It worked well. But I had 50 stations which is too many. I didn't do the doors completely as each station is just a repeat. It looks a little rough, but that's because the paper is flimsy so it doesn't stay in the intended position.
Name:  145297904_1859567680865327_3944041187224588765_o.jpg
Views: 922
Size:  92.9 KB

Name:  145883972_1859567710865324_8242163965309014854_o.jpg
Views: 902
Size:  88.8 KB