View Single Post
Old 09-03-2019, 07:26 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan 2019

Default I owe Jim Hery an apology

After the South Carolina Redneck Roundup meets became too large to accommodate at my shop, and I announced that they would no longer be held here, Jim called and asked if he could continue the RR at his shop in Tennessee. Among the many questions was how much it would cost to prepare and present one of the meets. My response was that no one that puts on these events expects to make a profit, but due to the generosity of the metal shaping community, in appreciation for the amount of work involved, have donated sufficiently to largely cover most of the expenses. The closest I got to breaking even was when a neighbor graciously provided the main meals. I shared with Jim that over the 5-6 years that I hosted this event the costs averaged out to about $25-$30 per day per attendee. With that information, along with other bits of advice, Jim agreed to host a RR event in his much larger, much more well equipped shop.

Jim has varying 1-3 employees and he along with those employees and three volunteers spent more than a week in advance expanding the work area, adding air conditioning to the larger assembly room, cleaning the shops exterior and moving equipment and cars around to accommodate the large crowd that was expected to attend an event hosted by such a talented and productive host. Jim and his crew did ALL the work! I merely attended and dealt with a few details as some minor health issues prevented early contributions. This is/was Jim Hery's event, and he alone is due props and accolades for his long hours of hard work.

But Jim Hery was severely disrespected for his efforts in promoting this event. We did our best to count folks daily, and a count of the release forms indicated that there were more than 65 folks that were in attendance, and an estimated average of about 58 folks each day. After the meet when Jim opened up the donation box, it was determined that those in attendance averaged an amount of less than $9 per person per day. That is embarrassing, and makes it look like I gave Jim false information regarding hosting the meet, thus my need to apologize to him. On previous occasions, someone will step up and act as a 'cheerleader' and explain to the new attendees the costs of hosting these events in an effort to prevent what happened here, but that was not the case at this event. Again, my apologies to Jim. In my last conversation with Jim, I suggested that he NOT continue the RR. In addition to the costs expended in hosting an event, in this case, Jim lost at least a week's worth of income for both him and his employees, and I expect disappointed one or more of his customers. Jim and I have become very close friends, and I am very disappointed to have mislead him in this way.

The one bright spot is VERY bright, and that is the contributions of 'Patman' Brubaker. As in most of the past metal shaping events, Pat brought one of his creative tool design projects and sold raffle tickets, donating the entire amount to the host. It has always softened the financial blow and been most appreciated. THANKS Pat! Pat is also very welcome as an instructor for classes. He recognizes the costs involved and treats the host with appropriate monetary respect. THANKS again, Pat!

BTW, Peter Tommasini is also VERY welcome at either of our facilities for the same reason!

I have been 'back and forth' about whether I should post this or not, but with the impending hurricane headed our way I am posting it now, as I may not get another chance in the near future.

Last edited by RockHillWill; 09-03-2019 at 07:28 AM.