View Single Post
Old 04-11-2010, 10:26 AM
ADMINISTRATOR MetalShaper of the Month Dec. '09 & May '11

Default Step 1

Where to start, Well after many hours of stuying photos & measuring I decided that the body needs to be stretched 17 inches. I will stretch the doors 4 inches and the rest by new metal between the door & rear cab wall.

I set all the parts on the frame and leveled them up so that the crease down the body, fender & box were in alignment. then built temp. mounts for the front of the cab and welded them to the frame. made shim blocks for the rear of the cab & box. Modified the frame a little at each end so the box & core support fit. That will be my base line all leveled & square. I can shim up as needed for final assembly.

The firewall is my start point for the cab and the doors must align to the firewall. The lower hinge pins were broke & the holes worn oversize. Rust had destroyed the hinge mounts & lower cowl.

Name:  RH lower pocket cut away.JPG
Views: 8914
Size:  26.7 KB

Name:  LH rusty fender mount.JPG
Views: 7731
Size:  21.5 KB

Name:  LH rusty hinge mt.JPG
Views: 7291
Size:  19.8 KB

I repaired the hinges by using parts of some 57 car door hinges, pins, bushings, and a section with a good pin hole. Then time to make some new hinge mounts in the A pillar,and the front of the step area.

Name:  RH new hinge mount.JPG
Views: 7157
Size:  23.8 KB
Just fab work but part of the project 16 ga. as original

Name:  RH step box front.JPG
Views: 6987
Size:  23.5 KB

The bottom area of the cowl is a very complex shape and required many small parts shaped and welded together. After cutting and drilling the outside part off in a manner that kept them useful for patterns, it was time to make the inside panel

Name:  RH inner repaired & blasted.JPG
Views: 6952
Size:  23.1 KB

Name:  LH in before & after.JPG
Views: 7219
Size:  27.1 KB

This is like a puzzle..... which part to to fit in first..... where to make the weld seams, etc. used the old sections for dimensions & shape. Some of this area needs to be very accurate so the door hinges mount correctly, and so there is clearance for the hinge to swing in the pocket.

Name:  LH pcket inner.JPG
Views: 7023
Size:  29.1 KB

more next post
Steve

Last edited by Steve Hamilton; 04-11-2010 at 11:14 AM.