View Single Post
Old 09-13-2019, 10:22 AM

Default Solidworks for $40

I previously got Solidworks software by taking an evening course in it at my local community college. The student version was free to enrolled students in the SW class, and the instructor was excellent. I took all 3 SW classes offered, so I has SW for three years, then my home copy timed out for the last time.

The student version was a full-blown edition, except for the timing out after one year. Additionally any drawings outputted were tattooed with "student version, not for commercial use". This doesn't stop a shop from water or laser cutting, however.

Now through partnership with the EAA, I learned that SW is offering the student version free of charge to any EAA member, and there are multiple SW forums, tutorials, etc available thru EAA, in addition to the student forums offered by SW.

EAA basic membership starts at $40 a year, and there are other member benefits as well. I have attended the Oshkosh event multiple times where I have sat and watched welding instructors from Lincoln and Miller, as well as many great metalworkers present workshops, including Kent White.

https://eaa.org/eaa/eaa-membership/e...esource-center

It sounded too good to be true to me at first, but yesterday I downloaded the latest version of SW and it's running again on my machine.

Last edited by weldtoride; 09-13-2019 at 10:01 PM.