Thread: C5 gto
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2011, 03:47 PM
MetalShaper of the Month Jan 2018

Default CA SPCN registration

Kerry: it's the same process for street rods as well. In fact there were 3 guys on Jan 1, 2011 in front of me in line at DMV that were all there to register their street rods. I suspect street rodders just have more ways to skirt the laws and so we don't hear that much backlash. I'm guessing the numbers of pink slips out there on the black market help them avoid the SPCN process. There's got to be a lot more '32 Ford pink slips available than '62 Ferrari.

John: all the DMV people I talked to during this were consistent. They all asked for more money for some additional tax or fee The thing DMV does now is register SPCNs as the model year when first registered, so 2011 in my case. The reason they do this is so that I have to pay the maximum Vehicle License Fee when I renew it next year and so on. The government bean counters really have figured out how to maximize the taxes/fees they can collect.

So the only good thing I figured out during this is that you can get through the registration process before a car is "complete". I thought at the beginning of 2011, I would surely have the car done before the year was over. Well, as many of you have found out, it's just not possible to predict the schedule on a home built car project. When November rolled around and the car was still no where close, I almost gave up hope of getting it through registration before my SB100 exemption expired (they only give out 500 and these are only good for calendar year issued). I figured I had nothing to lose by trying it with a partially completed car (didn't have windshield or doors on car). The partially completed car was the least of the issues that made this process so painful. Go figure.