View Single Post
Old 10-01-2021, 03:31 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69rrbruce View Post
Thank you all for your responses.
It looks like I need to create some metal strips to establish the desired crown and to see where in fact the metal is either too low or too high.
I'm going to start by plannishing the welded area in hopes that it will raise the adjacent area. Then I'll deal with the crowned area.
What are your opinions as to whether or not welding this roof insert caused the middle area to crown, or do you think the roof insert was over developed before welding?
Looking at this another way, if prior to welding in place, a sheet metal panel is over developed, what would be the process to reduce it's crown?
Does this process change once the panel is welded in place?

I'd suggest that you:

1) Make the metal "contour check strips" and check the contours.
2) Planish the weld areas ... best to pick a real flat area and see how much your hammer and dolly can bring it up - counting the swats needed as you go. (technique, technique, technique)
3) Check contours with strips as you go.
4) As you bring up the welded flat areas you will notice that the crown likely does not change - but that its crown might appear to be lessened, somewhat.
5) Establish how high the crown is, after planishing the welds, by measuring 1/16's.

Then it will be time to figure our how to reduce the "over developed" crown.

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.

Last edited by crystallographic; 10-01-2021 at 03:35 PM.