View Single Post
Old 07-16-2022, 01:12 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by drivejunk View Post
Yet another potential method (from a MIG user who does not hesitate to use square corners) would be to fit then weld / planish / grind, joining the two shortest sections first ( probably middle and front) but not attaching them yet. Just making them one piece.

Then fit the rear piece. At that point, you'll have a better idea where your comfort zone is and can decide which is the lesser evil- making it all one off the car or having one vertical joint to do on-car.

If initial fit up indicated joining the rear section to the middle first instead is best, go with that. Or, if the wheel opening section is more than mildly inaccurate, attaching the front and rear pieces to it then cutting over the wheel for a two piece part which meets there could be considered if helpful.

I believe that the option of joining only two sections off the car allows a balance of best "catch and correct" room / time and degree of difficulty / technical correctness and flexibility once the repair is underway. The decision whether to join all three pieces before attaching can be made after perfecting the first two is all I am really saying.

I did a 60 Biscayne and full length lower quarters were available. I did a 67 Impala and those join over the wheel. Three pieces sucks. Just maybe not as bad if you join two first and go from there.
B ... b ... bu ... buut .... his welding method is already chosen (Not Mig)

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.