View Single Post
Old 04-25-2021, 09:40 PM
MetalShaper of the Month October '14 , April '16, July 2020, Jan 2023

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducatichica View Post
Thank you all again
The larger coupons is definitely helping. I am getting the concept of gas and burning a bit better.
First is my best attempt a filler less tacking. The second is me just deciding my hands at making more holes. I think I get the ideas of when I am getting to hot and too cold.

My thoughts are to continue practicing heat control till I tack on demand
Then I can worry about the heat control on my welding
I believe my heat on tacking to slow or to close. I make a lot of kisses on my attempts
If I can gauge the lightness of the heat to just blow those two pieces of liquid together. I tend to heat on side or other then make kisses.

Hi Paloma,
Yes, larger coupon.
Steady hands ... one hand can support the other. Or, I use a smooth wood broom handle to support my wrists. Parallel to my front. Above the work. Slide along to get the feel of it. Maybe some wax. Then - weld.
Practice, practice .... then tacks come on demand. (but- metal has to touch... molten metal cannot levitate across gaps.)
Max heat is when torch is vertical to the metal and right on it = max heat. Then as the torch angles, the heat glances off....heat goes down.
Last, left-right. But on center is equal heat. Hard to see, but move quick when one side melts first. This is a quick fast process. Get ready, get on top, and your welds can only get better.

(Your welds are looking better.)

http://www.tinmantech.com

"All it takes is a little practical experience to blow the he!! out of a perfectly good theory." --- Lloyd Rosenquist, charter member AWS, 1919.