View Single Post
Old 12-28-2016, 01:02 AM
MetalShaper of the Month Dec . 2016, Sept 2019 Metal Shaper Of The Year 2021

Front upper half on the outboard side is next. Using a paper pattern is not really an ideal method but it will give you some information. You can't get much detailed information from them but this isn't a very complex shape, so it shouldn't be a problem.
Where the paper wrinkles as it's put down against the buck, cut slits going from the outer edge inward until the paper lays as flat as possible along the buck and stations.

Name:  658.jpg
Views: 1712
Size:  48.3 KB

The small dots I marked are where the radius begins. This is where the cuts in the paper pattern end. The line drawn on is where the radius starts getting tighter. The radius is a parabolic curve. As it moves outward along the station, the curve gets gradually tighter. The line just helps me watch where to start the heavy shrinking.

Name:  659.jpg
Views: 1487
Size:  42.3 KB

I am alternating between tuck shrinking and the deep shrinker. I always have difficulty capturing these large tucks. The distance from the impact to the edge of the sheet is over four inches and the tuck fans out about that much along the edge. This would probably be much easier with a tucking tool but I don't have one long enough to do the job. I'll make one if I start having trouble bringing in the outer radius.

Name:  660.jpg
Views: 1377
Size:  68.7 KB

I still have a long way to go with this one but it's starting to go where it needs to go.

Name:  661.jpg
Views: 1518
Size:  68.4 KB

Set a Goal So Big That You Can't Achieve It Until You Grow Into The Person That Can.