All MetalShaping

All MetalShaping (https://allmetalshaping.com/index.php)
-   Introductions (https://allmetalshaping.com/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   Hello from Dom in Edmonton Canada (https://allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?t=20779)

Biturbo 11-18-2021 12:33 AM

Hello from Dom in Edmonton Canada

I am new to this forum. My name is Dom and I live in Edmonton Alberta Canada. I love to watch, learn and be inspired by people who document their projects in forums such as this one. Automobiles and everything to do with repair, restoration and design have been a lifelong passion. I love Art Deco cars, sports cars, unusual cars. My garage often has a project of some sort and lots of dreams of future projects. I have been trying to learn some coach building techniques and recently was given an English wheel. I have an idea of what I would like to try to build if I have the means and health. My goal would be to share my project progress and interact with other members of this forum to discuss ideas and learn from their experiences.

I look forward to gaining full forum access.
Thanks
Dom

dwmh 11-18-2021 07:51 AM

Welcome to the forum Dom. I too love art deco cars.

Biturbo 11-20-2021 01:10 AM

I have been creating some pencil concept drawings of a car similar to the Art Deco roadster documented on this forum. I have also been thinking about Bugatti 57sc Atlantic elements. Love the Delahaye. Too many great designs . Trying to conceptualize a superleggera framework rather than a ladder frame to get the floor lower and increase cabin space of a coupe

crystallographic 11-20-2021 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biturbo (Post 171285)
I have been creating some pencil concept drawings of a car similar to the Art Deco roadster documented on this forum. I have also been thinking about Bugatti 57sc Atlantic elements. Love the Delahaye. Too many great designs . Trying to conceptualize a superleggera framework rather than a ladder frame to get the floor lower and increase cabin space of a coupe

You have been attracted to some classic designs.
"Superleggera" was a revolution in autobody execution, replacing timber-framing inside the bodywork with angle, channel, and small tubing. I have restored a few of the 1930's Touring bodies, Touring being the inventor of that framework.
The ladder chassis frames can be abbreviated by going to heavier front and rear x-members and going "creative" in between those first and last x members. When the modified ladder is done this way, jacking up the vehicle using either front corner will raise it with almost zero twist.

(I have done this - with a Holset-Switzer turbo on a Mopar smallblock, 1974.)
Success and joy,

Biturbo 11-20-2021 06:54 PM

Hi Kent,
I have enjoyed your website in the past. There is some great info there. I love the article about building the Ferrari from 12 pics.

My idea about my project follows a similar philosophy where I get inspired by different photos and would like to bring the ideas together into one product. I would like to design a central “passenger compartment” portion of the frame to incorporate stronger elements in the rocker panels, a pillars, b pillars and c pillars and roof structure and then “birdcage” the rest of the chassis to provide mounting support for the skin.

I seek the advise of this forum to understand if the wooden elements can be replaced with steel tubing or formed sheet steel? This forum has some great photos of an Alfa Romeo supperlegera structure and have been inspired to go that direction.

Quote:

Originally Posted by crystallographic (Post 171299)
You have been attracted to some classic designs.
"Superleggera" was a revolution in autobody execution, replacing timber-framing inside the bodywork with angle, channel, and small tubing. I have restored a few of the 1930's Touring bodies, Touring being the inventor of that framework.
The ladder chassis frames can be abbreviated by going to heavier front and rear x-members and going "creative" in between those first and last x members. When the modified ladder is done this way, jacking up the vehicle using either front corner will raise it with almost zero twist.

(I have done this - with a Holset-Switzer turbo on a Mopar smallblock, 1974.)
Success and joy,

Hotflint 11-22-2021 10:17 AM

Hello Dom! Welcome to the forum from Calgary! You will definitely gather a lot of support and information here.
The Delahaye is one of my favorite designs, personally I would love to re-create one with modern suspension and drive train in it

Have fun with the knowledge and inspiration provided by this forum

Biturbo 11-24-2021 12:04 AM

Hi Dave,
I have enjoyed your YouTube channel even before joining this forum. Keep up the good work.

There are so many interesting designs. Recently I have been analyzing the design of the Lancia Astura. Great design.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hotflint (Post 171340)
Hello Dom! Welcome to the forum from Calgary! You will definitely gather a lot of support and information here.
The Delahaye is one of my favorite designs, personally I would love to re-create one with modern suspension and drive train in it

Have fun with the knowledge and inspiration provided by this forum