All MetalShaping

All MetalShaping (https://allmetalshaping.com/index.php)
-   Heads Up Announcements (https://allmetalshaping.com/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Great News: Hoosier Profiles NOT closing at the end of the year. (https://allmetalshaping.com/showthread.php?t=19114)

metal manny 07-03-2019 01:44 AM

Wow, this is really sad for the shaping community! Luckily, I bought all my anvils from Hoosier when economic times were still good here in South Africa! Was still hoping to someday order a set of full radius lowers, but guess not so anymore.
To my knowledge, I was the first international customer who had Joe machine holes in the upper anvil so as to reduce the weight and thereby halve the shipping price (Joe's idea, BTW). This clinched the deal. I was so impressed with Joe's entrepreneurial foresight when, the very next day, he had posted a notice on his website which read something like "New for international customers....only $45 shipping!"
Best wishes to Joe and Peggy for the future.

vroom 07-06-2019 05:00 PM

yikes!

This is really bad news! I had just designed a custom set of dies I was going to order. I'm not sure what to do now.

Actually I didn't think Hoosier Profile's dies were that expensive AND they were sure the best I had seen.

But anyway, all the best to Joe and Peggy in any future endeavors.

Adam H 07-08-2019 02:07 AM

Very sad to hear. I don't want to stray too far from the topic here, but at least in regards to Wheeling Machine Uppers and and lower Anvils, if you happen to purchase a wheeling machine from Peter Tommasini (or if you did build your own)I would recommend purchasing the set from Peter directly in the absence of Hoosier's being available anymore.
When I purchased my machine from Peter, I ended up buying the anvils and Upper from him as well. EXCELLENT quality; high quality bearings and the pieces were heat treated AND nitrided as well .
Peter machines his from what I believe is the equivalent of D2 steel here in the States.
I have no financial stake or gain in this and I paid for all of my parts I purchased- it's just an FYI as a viable option to obtain high quality upper wheel s and lower anvils with the closing of HP.

Jaroslav 07-08-2019 03:35 AM

Sorry for my koment.

6 Attachment(s)
Yes it is sad. Unfortunately, I use everything that spins and is usable for shaping. It's hard to sell me the finished product. All my tools are the product of improvisation, compromise and economy. When I will have in the future enough money to invest , I will no longer need investment at that time. When will they come for me ..., they won't know what things it is that can be for used , and will throw it all into waste.

The end of the company is always painful. You need to stop in time and think about the future.
Today we living is the century of looking in the displays. Nothing tangible, all is virtual.
Everyone is afraid to get dirty from work.

Unfortunately, quality is not always an economic advantage.

I'm the wrong customer example for bussines sells.

Attachment 53324

Attachment 53325

Attachment 53326

Attachment 53327

Attachment 53328

Attachment 53329

twopintsplease 07-10-2019 09:45 PM

It is sad when some one supplying a specialty service like they are , is not viable to continue, I wish them luck with there new endeavours

I am a bit surprised as to there main export market been Australia with only about 25 million people and the USA with about 300 million people isn’t a big enough market to support them

robtg 07-10-2019 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by twopintsplease (Post 156938)
It is sad when some one supplying a specialty service like they are , is not viable to continue, I wish them luck with there new endeavours

I am a bit surprised as to there main export market been Australia with only about 25 million people and the USA with about 300 million people isn’t a big enough market to support them

That's because people in the US are too busy screwing with their I phones
to do anything creative.

neilb 07-11-2019 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robtg (Post 156939)
That's because people in the US are too busy screwing with their I phones
to do anything creative.

i think that is a global issue :lol:

kiwi john 07-12-2019 01:13 AM

Aussie is a very small market but it punches above its weight particularly in our tiny metal shaping community. I would guess that the majority of our activities are based in or around Melbourne for the simple reason we have an incredibly gifted and generous teacher. Pete opens his doors to us and the community group grows. Unfortunately he has stopped posting here as have other professionals who earn their living from the work they do not the paid courses they run. It’s incredibly hard to make a living from producing tools for this market as the very people involved have a natural tendency to want to make their own tools. I have Peters anvils and will vouch for their quality but joes were probably just as good. Unfortunately this administration doesn’t really support anything other than US companies and as your economy slides so will your choices. We are supposed to be a community but the field ain’t even close to level. I can’t believe that Pete is not listed on the resources page but as this is probably my last post I will admit that I am not actually surprised. I wish all of you well cheers John

mr.c 07-12-2019 11:21 AM

John: Please don't leave. I know first hand how tough it is to sell product to talented folks that have the skills to make their own tools. There are a lot of factors involved. I used to ship my TuckPuck product all over the planet for $11 US. Then our postal service more than tripled the rate to the $36 range. That made it too cost prohibitive for folks outside of the US to purchase my product. I did ship quite a few to Australia and New Zealand before the price hike.
Regarding the "resources" section of this forum, That was put together years ago. My business is not listed there either and that is because I never really asked to be listed there. I just never got around to it. My fault , not theirs. I am confident that if I had submitted a request, it would be listed there. The owners/moderators of this forum have a lot on their plate and they rely on input probably more than memory.
So please reconsider your decision and stick around. Carey

racer-john 07-12-2019 01:39 PM

Sad News: Hoosier Profiles closing at the end of the year.

Sad news in deed.

Best wishes to Joe and Peggy for the future.