All MetalShaping

Go Back   All MetalShaping > Metal Shaping Projects > Beginner Projects
  Today's Posts Posts for Last 7 Days Posts for Last 14 Days  

Old 08-04-2012, 05:17 PM
Metal Shaper of the Month, November 2012

Default 66 corvair restoration.

hi, my name is brent and i dont capitalize letters. lol

but i do love metalwork. i am a bodyman and painter (all in one, combo, jack of all things wrecked, ect) i joined the site to learn more!! i am 22 but i thought i would share my latest project that im working on weekends with my wife for a customer. i work weekdays rebuilding wrecks.(vw's mainly) along with hummer stuff. i REALLY like my job. (oops i capitalized.)

anyways.. heres the pics.

car was last restored in 81. EONS! ago!! lol so it needed a nice refresh!

my wife will take the pics for me i just place my lil cardboard magnetic arrows around the car! we email the pics to our customers! helps keep them involved. this is a fiberglass patch panel. there is alot of glass in this car as i have come to find out!

i found lots of metal-to-metal globbed over welds here! :'(

newspaper fiberglass and bondo. greenville high school football did well in the 81 season... lol j/k

was rubbing the panels and my thumb went through here!!! wowza!

lower patch was bought the uppper i made i have since planished it out more and it looks better.

that was not easy but it was FUN!

once all the rust was removed there was not much left. i made my new panels and patterns of each panel before i removed the old one. the bondo/fiberglass/newspaper was so thick it made a nice buck for clamping as i worked on the rear panel

across the top i will make another panel to go in with the holes punched on the ironworker for the bumper.. my first e-wheel panel i bought a nice one this week but it only came with one lower anvil...... so far... :P

i am rather proud of this panel! it will be fully welded and sandblasted/ect before i put it in.

this one too! the edge will be ground off and made round to match.

last one for the day... the fan blew some dirt in my eye and its really irritating the mess out of me! im used to stuff in my eye but this is almost crippling. so i figured i would stop before i lost a hand. please ignore the mess on the ground in the pic..... im usually a very neat worker.

any suggestions, comments feel free. i have thick skin.
Old 08-04-2012, 06:03 PM
Member MetalShaper of the Month Nov 2013

Those Corvairs were really great cars, as soon as GM figured out how to keep those long belts from jumping off the pulleys. I had a fried who had a turbo Corvair, probably a 1962. That thing would really move. Too bad about the federal government. They messed up a lot of great cars. The E- type Jaguar for another. The 1966 was the last good one. Made them take the plexiglass off the headlights (now almost all cars have it—go figure) and made them raise the body several inches which pretty much destroyed that exquisite handling the E's were famous for.

That's a nice looking car you have there.

I find that using capitals is kind of like not chewing with your mouth open. It makes it easier for other people to take you seriously.

When I die heaven can wait, I want to go to McMaster-Carr.

My sculpture web page http://www.fantaciworks.com
Old 08-04-2012, 06:40 PM
Administrator

Corvairs were very good cars and very inexpensive to operate. They had two problems, rust prone and if you treated them like a regular water cooled car they wouldn't last. You needed to change the belt every 10,000 miles and carry a spare with you. Air pressure in the tires was critical for handling. The fronts carried 10 psi lower than the rear. I drove one for many many years and really liked it. Check for rust under the car, panel can look like they are fine but are just solid rust that you can stick a screwdriver through. From the looks of the rust on the front fenders you are going to find some structural damage that needs attention.

There is more than one way to go to town and they are all correct.
Old 08-04-2012, 07:21 PM
Administrator

Location: Near Huntsville, Alabama. Just south of the Tennessee line off I65

Quote:
Originally Posted by thingsthatfly2 View Post
... i just place my lil cardboard magnetic arrows around the car! we email the pics to our customers! helps keep them involved. ...
Really good idea Brent!
Old 08-05-2012, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard-S View Post
Those Corvairs were really great cars, as soon as GM figured out how to keep those long belts from jumping off the pulleys. I had a fried who had a turbo Corvair, probably a 1962. That thing would really move. Too bad about the federal government. They messed up a lot of great cars. The E- type Jaguar for another. The 1966 was the last good one. Made them take the plexiglass off the headlights (now almost all cars have it—go figure) and made them raise the body several inches which pretty much destroyed that exquisite handling the E's were famous for.

That's a nice looking car you have there.

I find that using capitals is kind of like not chewing with your mouth open. It makes it easier for other people to take you seriously.
wow i did not know that. i love the looks of the d and e types. the owner of this car has several corvairs (11 i think..) all in running driving condition except for one ramp side. he has a few turbo's and they are the only type of car he has owned until 2006 i believe he said when he bought a "watercooled chevy pick up" cracks me up! its like the comparison with the vw's this car is his wife's! its the only type of car she has ever driven!!! i love it when the owner of the car is as interesting as the car itself!
Old 08-05-2012, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hartson View Post
Corvairs were very good cars and very inexpensive to operate. They had two problems, rust prone and if you treated them like a regular water cooled car they wouldn't last. You needed to change the belt every 10,000 miles and carry a spare with you. Air pressure in the tires was critical for handling. The fronts carried 10 psi lower than the rear. I drove one for many many years and really liked it. Check for rust under the car, panel can look like they are fine but are just solid rust that you can stick a screwdriver through. From the looks of the rust on the front fenders you are going to find some structural damage that needs attention.
ah.. that explains the belt and tools tied down under the boot...

i was afraid of that under the fronts... i have a whirly-jig rotisserie that i LOVE! but he owner of the car was afraid that if i put it up there i would spend too much time fixing the small things for a driver. but you know i want to!

Quote:
Really good idea Brent!
i stole the idea from jeff lilly. his webpage is awsome. it has a monza corvair that he did and its beautiful!!!!

http://www.jefflilly.com/gallery/cla...air/index.html
Old 08-06-2012, 07:35 AM

adding the panels....

ready for the top panel. i would have ground down the welds more but they will be getting a nice 1" bead of seam sealer from both sides and epoxy over that and then zolotone so it should look great!

welded up and all. needs more dolly work and shrinking but the mosquitoes were getting worse...

i know its not much but im pleased. i spent well within the customers time constraint and should still be on to my paint within a month plan.

i really should be tiggin' this but i need more practice/instruction before i feel ready to do it on things other then scrap i seem to get the panel even hotter with tig then i do with my mig tacks...
Old 08-06-2012, 11:12 AM
Administrator

Nice looking repair. Please post pictures of the rest of the repairs.

There is more than one way to go to town and they are all correct.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hartson View Post
Nice looking repair. Please post pictures of the rest of the repairs.
will do once i start on them! this is the only spot i have been working on so far! its an after hours job so time is short. i checked those spots you told me to inspect and at first glance they looked ok.... then i realized it was undercoated over fiberglass!!!!!! wowza!
Old 08-08-2012, 11:26 AM

Nice thread. Love Corvairs. Keep the pics coming!